[iDC] World 2.0 — Why Things, not RFIDs, Matter [Was: The Lure of Internet2]

Julian Bleecker julian at techkwondo.com
Sat Feb 18 23:18:07 EST 2006

The ITU Internet of Things thing missed an important vector. I'm a
bit baffled by the RFID becoming the poster child of Things, frankly.
It's easy to fetishize RFID tags and interconnected devices. RFIDs
are cool — they're small, cheap, hackable, fun to play with, you can
insert them subcutaneously and call yourself a cyborg. But, goodness
— there are so many more important candidate networked Things

The stakes for an Internet of Things is so much more than RFID
hacking. We should be much more interested in how our occupancy in
the world changes when we enroll Things (with RFIDs or without) into
the social web. How will the rules of tenancy within the physical
world adjust when our Things are informatic and networked? And why
just Things? What about the other worldly cohabitants that will now
have the ability to get on the network? Critter cams that disseminate
a realtime video stream from a Kapok tree in the Amazonian rain
forest or a feed from a school of migrating whales showing all kinds
of meaningful environmental data would definitely make it into my RSS
aggregator. What difference would that make to how we understand how
the world works, or how we work to change the world?

Michael Naimark's Kundi project is a great example of a project that
anticipates how the Internet of Things might become a platform for
social-web style change, with life and death stakes. The Kundi
framework is deceptively simple, and just because it was spec'd
_before_ people ever uttered "Internet of Things" is only a testament
to the foresight of the development team. With Kundi, Connected
Things (they were, in this case, webcams capturing images of the real
world) could have their content tagged as "hot" and draw in attention
from anyone on the Internet. There are ludic scenarios, of course, so
as to attract the venture capital folks — it wouldn't be a web
project if there weren't. But think of one scenario I've heard Mike
mention more than once — a Kundi Cam placed in a refugee camp where
rape and murder is routine. Now imagine that the Kundi Cam has a
visible indicator showing how many tens of thousands of people around
the world are watching. Behaviors change, threatening space edges
towards safe space because Things are part of the social web.

http://www.naimark.net/projects/kundi.html

Forget about Web 2.0 and networked Barcaloungers, how can we make the
Internet of Things into a platform for World 2.0? How can the
Internet of Things become a framework for creating more habitable
worlds, rather than a technical framework for a television talking to
my refrigerator? Now that we've shown that the Internet (version 2,
version 3, lambdas — who cares which one?) can become a place where
social formations can accrete and where worldly change has at least a
hint of possibility, what can we do to move that possibility out into
the world that we all have to occupy?

What happens when Pigeons are geared up with wireless networking
gear, GPS rigs and environmental sensors and become, well..Spimey?
RFIDs are glorified anti-theft tags when thought of in the context of
the Pigeon that Blog about the state of the environment.

http://www.pigeonblog.mapyourcity.net/proposal/pigeon.html

How about flocks of vehicles that provide a real-time, aggregate RSS
feed indicating the number of kilos of pollutants they exhaust every
hour across just one kilometer of the 405 freeway in Los Angeles? Or
gallons of gasoline they consume during that same period? I could go
on about Things I'd like to see share space with me in the Internet.
(Parenthetically, we'll have to begin choosing our prepositions with
care — we are now in an era of pervasive networks and are thus more
properly "in", not "on" the network. Careful choice of prepositions
that help us orient matters deeply, and it helps think more clearly
about not only the stakes of co-habitating with Things within the
networked world, but also for creating designed experiences for this
very different mode of occupancy.)

It's not the RFID that is of consequence. It's the chance to take
what has been learned in the "online" ("tethered" networks) world to
the pervasively networked world. The promising, exciting news around
the Internet of Things can't possibly be the “cool” factor of having
my toothbrush connected to the network (so the Proctor & Gamble
people knew when I was low on toothpaste? what?) Design agents who
want to contribute more than "whimsy" are way smarter than that, and
way more provocative. Whimsy is great. But I'd like to think we can
get some World 2.0 along with the whimsy.

Julian Bleecker
http://research.techkwondo.com