[iDC] Vision

saul ostrow sostrow at gate.cia.edu
Tue Jan 24 14:00:09 EST 2006

my apologies in advance if this feels like a hammer

Circumscribed by the discourses of post-structuralist thought, those
who identified themselves with post-Modernism’s cultural reformation
seem to be intent on discarding the historical narratives and
methodologies that  identify and inform the goals of cultural
liberation and self determination. The effect of this is not only
undermines our the ability to analyze,  evaluate and act, but also
curtails our ability  to self-reflexively address what underlies our
assumption that this dismantling of the "subject" at this time is
something  desirable.  The result of the residual effect of modernist
romanticism that has been left in tact forms the basis for the popular
conception that liberation can be achieved via a self affirming
subjectivism, meant to  create within itself an individual sense of
authority and power to define all things accordingly -- in other words
we come to know our limitations.

The post-modern individual, therefore seeks self affirmation in the
good life, that is the pursuit of individual ends as such culture
becomes the means for means to discover their own distinctive
personality and give self-expression to it.  Yet, this conception of
self is vulnerable to a mass media model,ing which turns the collective
experience of the alienated self into a series of mixed messages and
perceptions that represents all difference as merely relative. As such
the  self is  made susceptible to the permutations and changes in
fashion that order both the forms and contents of a cultural
marketplace fashion, style and novelty have become the symbolic value
substituted for the standards, criteria and values once promoted as the
substantiative content of both common and critical culture. Culture,
given the economic needs of the culture industry, is not capable of
generating deep structural changes, for by its very nature it is only
suited to circulate a dizzying array of competing images, visions and
messages as to what form our desires may take.  As such, the contested
territory of competing political solutions gives way to culturally
defined niche markets pandering to a subjectivity that is
narcissistically concerned with its own development in the name of
self- fulfillment and the common good.

Today with our sense of isolation and alienation within both the
private and public spheres, the promise of cultural redemption seeks
its realization in the consumption of the goods offered up by a
commercially constructed mass culture rather than some hard won sense
of self-improvement.  Access to mass culture via ever expanding
networks of distribution that makes its messages omnipresent creating
the illusion that education and self-reflexivity are no longer
necessary – and just might be the cause of our present unhappiness.
This is of course in counter distinction to the traditional promise of
cultural self-improvement offered up by high culture which is far more
demanding for it requires work and self – reflection. Though rewards of
this endeavor are promised to be greater, the symbolic value of mass
culture’s are more like those of religion in that they are open and
available to all.  What makes this new secular faith even more
appealing is that one need not wait for their reward, it can be found
in the market place of commodified goods and ideas. Culture’s symbolic
value as a regulator of social change has displaced the political as
the means of ordering the social sphere. This has qualitatively altered
political as well as cultural life globally.