[iDC] story web

nick knouf nknouf at media.mit.edu
Wed Jul 5 17:25:17 EDT 2006

iDC List Members,

There is some recent precedence for the wiki-based collaborative
story development that Julian mentioned at the end of his post.

Some of you might know Ze Frank (http://zefrank.com/) from his weekly
video series The Show (http://www.zefrank.com/theshow/).  He has
recently been playing around with collaborative, wiki development of
show scripts:

http://www.zefrank.com/wiki/index.php/Fabuloso_Friday/Main_Project_Page

He encourages people to create and edit a script that he then
videotapes for his site.

If you look at what he ended up with, for a three minute spot, you
can see how the lack of coherence and "douchebag" jokes reflect some
of the concerns that Eric raised:

http://www.zefrank.com/wiki/index.php/Fabuloso_Friday/The_Script
http://www.zefrank.com/theshow/archives/2006/06/060906.html

Now, this might be appropriate for the snarky (in a positive sense)
videos that Ze Frank is known for producing, but for other types of
content, i.e., engaging and long-term story-lines in interactive
narratives, this is likely not what one desires.

I share Eric's concerns about not wanting to be elitist while also
understanding the way that many creative people work.  I'm still
waiting to see (or develop) a collaborative creative system that does
not degenerate into meaningless chaos.  How can we create a system
that through its design, enables a "meaningful" chaos or
"multiplicity" (to delve into Deleuzian-speak here) that reflects how
many (or maybe just myself) feel about the multifaceted online world?

I'm still trying to come up with an answer.

nick