[iDC] Public Sphere Polka

tt tterra at fastwebnet.it
Mon Jul 10 11:40:38 EDT 2006

dear Trebor and all,

I will take a bit more time from the list to continue our conversation,
even as some might prefer to move on to some thick descriptions!

What I would like to make clear, is that I understand people's concerns
about another dry 'ascent to theory' - with all the authoritarian
consequences which often derives from that and universal boredom.  But I
think sometimes a bit of philosophy seems necessary and that thick,
specific, historical descriptions of specific events are never only
about contextualizing and specifying. They always raise interesting
philosophical questions.
I am a thinking of a recent book by Peter Galison /Empire of Time,
/which is a really good example. It is a very detailed, well crafted and
well documented study of the context in which Poincarè invented topology
and Einstein  relativity theory - plus the story about the multiplicity
of local times, decided without coordination by cities and regions, was
tamed into the time zones we know today by mapping the meridians.
Galison is very good at showing how it was the very technical and
mundane work these scientists did, as state mining inspector in France
(poincarè), and as a patent clerk in Switzerland (Einstein) that
provided the conditions for the formulations of the questions that led
to topology and relativity. He shows how these inventions presumed a
whole network of institutions and events - from states to commercial
enterprises to local politics, to weather etc. After you read this book,
your perspective on scientific invention will have changed as that of
space and time. These are great studies - although in Galison's case, it
is an historical study, while what many of us do is not to study past
events, but present events, in the making, when also not experimenting
ourselves with networked communication. I think this makes it difficult,
but challenging, which gives this work the feeling that it can actually
find some relays in culture or society which will respond to it positively.
For me the question is not to much to explain everything through a
theory, as to mobilize philosophy so as to make justice to the material
one is working with.

What I should have maybe mentioned first, in my first posting to the
list, before bombarding everyone with questions and statements, is that
two years ago I have received a research grant to produce a study on the
reporting and representations of the Iraq war on the Internet. As you
understand, it is obviously not a project that can be carried out by any
one individual, but it gives enough resources to concentrate on small
sections of the Internet - such as the web-logs from within Iraq (which
are often the main, most reliable source of information about Iraq).
This is really a tiny, tiny part of the Internet, not to talk about it
in relation to the large amounts of communications exchanged on a global
scale on a daily basis (TV, newspapers, newssites, etc). The authors of
the blogs are or have been (appearing and disappearing all the time)
confirmed as 'authentic' by shifting but reliable networks of
verification (what Stalder and Hirsh have called an open source
intelligence). Internet points multiplied in Iraq after the war, also
thanks to the help of voluntary  engineering groups which, according to
some accounts, entered Iraq immediately after the invasion. There's also
accounts of Ubuntu's free and open source software being delivered to
Iraq.  I can give you details about numbers if you want them in another
posting - but numbers are shifting as ever with the Internet. Every blog
provides a really subjective, infinitesimally small account of the war
compared to the vast amount of information/noise churned out by
mainstream media on Iraq. Their audiences are substantial, but far from
constituting even a minority of users. The first philosophical question
I ask myself now, then, is:

what or whom are these blogs there for? Do they constitute a tiny
portion of the networked public sphere, which they contribute to, by
doing their small, but important part? Is the tiny trickle of
devastating information coming out from within Iraq having any effects
on the networked public sphere? What about the people, who are still the
majority, globally, who do not get access to the networked public
sphere? Will it be enough to have them all online for that tiny trickle
of information to have any effects at a mass level? So that these blogs
can be said to cause any clearcut, necessary, fair changes on the ground?
I have to say that I do not even think that this is /my/ question, but
the questions which are now being posed by this section of the
blogosphere, if we want to call it so. Anybody who has been reading
blogs coming in from Iraq, especially those of Iraqi citizens, can
really tell you about the loss of spirit that these writers are
experiencing. And although never stated, one can just feel that blogging
is becoming more difficult for them, because some kind of belief,
however unstated, in the power of blogging to really help to change
things for the better in Iraq, has got lost.

So again, and this was my question, I have to ask myself  about the
mass. But I agree with you that maybe that was a wrong question, and
even biomass maybe it's not a happy word for it. Maybe it is something
more mundane, it is more like a majority, something precarious that
holds things together in a certain direction, rather than another and
that sometimes shifts, something that is about opinion and even polls.
In this sense, yes, the biomass that PR, publicists, advertising and
marketing manipulate must be the same as the mass activists work with.
Otherwise they are only activating the already activated (which is not
necessarity a bad thing, see Michael Moore Farheneit 9/11 etc).

One good thing I would like to say about the mass, is that, outside its
really horrible historical connotations and the images that come with
it, is that I always valued the fact that it is passive. The point about
women I wanted to make was not just about their numerical representation
(sorry Trebor). But it also about the fact that unfortunately it is
almost only women who read feminist philosophy and history, these days,
especially in technological circles and it shows (apart from haraway
maybe).  Which is really a great shame. But my point is that there are
some philosophies (the usual culprits Spinoza, Leibniz) which have
understood the moment of being captured by something, of letting oneself
be captured by something as a productive, ethical moment. Apart from the
acts of htting digits and clicking links, I am completely passive when I
read these blogs. Things slightly change with people who are active
posters and who establish personal relations with the bloggers, but they
constitute a tiny minority of the tiny minority of bloggers' readers. I
think as long as we exist within a world of communications for the most
part we sit passively reclined, we take a lot more in than we actualy
actively produce. I don't see how it is possible to get around that in
discussions about the public sphere. What kind of public sphere is it
where the majority of people sits most of the time mostly taking in
passively informations, images, sensations....

Again, it is really really easy to go from a statement like this (we are
mostly passive in relation to communication) and make it into something
else (we cannot do nothing, the majority can only take what is given to
them). I don't think that passage is necessary. One way out of this has
been to draw on an alternative term, and say that this passive mass (at
least in the world of media consumption) is also always at the same time
a multitude in the world of production! It seems too good to be true.
Nobody is really passive, or passivity, in their Spinozian sense, is the
beginning of activity, of the process of becoming active. So we are
bound to be passive and homogenized in the majority of cases in relation
to the media, but active and differentiated in the world of
communication.  This is I think what Charlie Gere was referring to in
his point about the mysticism of Deluzian/autonomist thought which
reminds the mystical spiritualism of Teillhard de Chardin. As Charlie
has appropriately pointed out, there is an almost mystical tone to much
writing of this kind. I think you are right, about that, I actually
think it's quite interesting, more than from Chardin I would really make
it derive to seventeenth century - the heretical movements against the
Catholic church (century of Spinoza and of the Counter-Reformation).
There is definitely a hint of that,
I think that the power of these blogs from Iraq, on the tiny public
whose attention they have captured, even passively and for whatever
reasons, is deeply affective. It has singularized me - as it s tiny
public - in relation to the perception of the Iraq war, I am definitely
not in the majority. I am a bit more isolated too, I need to make more
of an effort to communicate about Iraq, because I can always rely on
most of my listeners to have different opinions, but mostly an utterly
distorted perception of the situation - regardless of politics and ideology.

 I do not think that we can know what these tiny effects multiplied
across a number of sites on the web might be, but we should take it
seriously because the questions of Iraq blogs is also the more general
question of the effects of networked communication on the larger 'public
sphere'. Iraqi blogs are instances of communication networks mostly
connecting tiny publics and projects (and that should not mean only
fragmentation). Actually the most interesting thing I find about power
laws is not so much that they show a tendency to produce enormous spikes
of concentration, but that they also tend to fall down and off into a
long long line of tiny publics, spreading to infinity. Remember the Bell
curve (which is the mathematical figure for a mass, if I am not
mistaken) mostly crowds in the middle (around the average). But a power
law mass converges on some points only to mostly disperse itself into a
multiplicity of nodes. Is this only fragmentation or is it also
something else?

best

tiziana

I would like to take in a couple pf points being made on the list by
Grant and Kester, which I thought were really good points, actually.

One question is: what is the difference between a biomass (I am not sure
I like this term either) which is manipulated by advertising, publicity,
PR, spin, marketing etc and one that is manipulated by artists and well
meaning activists?
The second question was: why do Italian autonomist writers always end up
sounding so mystical and making it as if brain cells, computer networks,
and human societies were the same thing?

Well my answer to the first question would be. Yes you are right, they
have to be the same thing. But by all means this