[iDC] Re: Collective Action

Matthew Waxman mwax at ucsc.edu
Sat Jun 24 14:16:43 EDT 2006

Trebor, a stroll in the park is a great way to surf
real-world space.

Consider the simple ability of the internet as a
communication tool. I'm currently communicating with youth
organizers on a project and the folks I'm communicating
with (online and conference calls) are attracted to the
internet as a departure point for making contact with
organizing people across the nation. This perspective on
the internet is widely taken.  Of course, the social
networking element observed in sites like MySpace is also
becoming increasingly appealing (since so many youth have
attached themselves to these social networks already). So
whether or not giving every child a computer is the best
approach, I imagine it is an attractive idea to many
because it suggests expanding access to currently
populated, large networks.

Some sites relevant to world-changing networking:

http://www.takingITglobal.org -- with Taking IT Global,
network with activists and organizers and organizations
globally. This canadian based networking website boasts
participants from around the world. While the site can't
compete with sites such as MySpace in terms of number of
users, it's also true that sometimes quality over quantity
is meaningful when it comes to organizing. Browse the
users by country and get a taste of the different kinds of
people involved in the network.

http://www.uspartnership.org/ -- the US Partnership for
the United Nations Decade of Education for Sustainable
Development. I did some work with the Youth Sector Team
last year, great folks. They are connecting with an
impressively large amount of organizations and networks
around the US in a variety of categories.  They use
conference calls for a lot of the communication, and email
listserves are also used a lot.

http://www.chattheplanet.com/ -- Chat the Planet seems to
be video blogging/web-cam activism.

http://freechild.org/SIYI/Webliography.htm -- a nice list
of organizations around the world (this one is specific to
youth movements), each org has a website, of course.
 There are a truly vast amount of community organizations
with websites. It seems many see the internet as a great
networking tool.

best,
-Matt