[iDC] Re: Collective Action

david mcconville id at elumenati.com
Sat Jun 24 21:10:11 EDT 2006

Trebor et al,

This is my first post here, but this latest thread has me curious
about successes at leveraging the web for collective problem solving.
Of course many sites facilitate group communication, collaboration,
and sometimes actual action (beyond one-click politicking), but I'm
curious if there are some that you feel stand out for their tangible results.

The outcome of applying "open source" or collaborative approaches to
software development and information aggregation are widely
discussed, but what about other types of problem solving? This might
be a naive a question in the context of previous conversations on
this list, but which sites have successfully applied grid-computing
approaches like SETI at Home to human cycles for addressing
regional/global problems?

A few examples:

- The World Urban Forum's
<http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/004575.html>Habitat
<http://www.worldchanging.com/archives/004575.html>Jam facilitated a
conversation of 40,000 people from 150 countries to address the issue
of urban sustainability, and the outcome was analyzed by the Canadian
Government and the International Centre for Sustainable Cities. You
can see the results in the resultant
<http://www.wuf3-fum3.ca/newsletter/actionable_ideas_workbook_en.pdf>70
Actionable Ideas document.

- A different approach is the <http://www.opensourceenergy.org>Open
Source Energy Network, which encourages inventors to post and ideas
about, experiments with, and critique of different power generation systems.

Matthew's mention of the US Partnership and the other sites brings up
the issue of how the web can best be leveraged for addressing the
really big issues. I'm currently working with the Buckminster Fuller
Institute to organize a regional version of their
<http://www.designsciencelab.org>Design Science Lab, which is focused
on applying Fuller's <http://bfi.org/dsmethod>design science
methodology to goals set forth by the
<http://www.un.org/millenniumgoals/>UN Millennium Development Goals.
Last year's Lab yielded some very interesting and surprisingly simple
and very implementable strategies for reducing world hunger
(<http://designsciencelab.org/report.php>PDF available here), but
this involved 40 self-motivated individuals reviewing comprehensive
world datasets and developing strategies for a pretty intense week in
the same physical location. Fuller was strong proponent of
comprehensive thinking and anticipatory action, so I'd like to find
models that have applied distributed creativity for this type of approach.

So, what examples do you think have successfully facilitated
collaborative strategic problem solving in networked space?

Thanks,
david

BTW, an interesting direct application of massively distributed grid
computing is http://climateprediction.net, designed to develop
climatic models...

http://www.elumenati.com