[iDC] Undermining open source: iTunes U

john sobol john at johnsobol.com
Thu Mar 9 13:51:05 EST 2006

> Another
> development that I noticed is that of labs that are conducive to
> collaboration. Instead of the factory-like rows of lined-up computers
> there are several smaller units with three or four workstations.
> Trebor

Here's a picture of a small media lab I ran a few years back. Maybe
lots of people have round tables like this but everywhere I go I see
rows. I found that the circular set up was extremely conducive to
collaboration, discussion etc.

http://www.johnsobol.com/collaborationspace.jpg

Our hardware/software orientation is rather obvious. All I can say is
that it worked for us. User-friendliness trumps pretty much everything
else when working – as we were – with newbie populations (street kids,
in our case). Not a knock against FLOSS just an observation about the
value of design excellence.

cheers

www.johnsobol.com
bluesology • printopolis • digitopia