[iDC] Undermining open source: IT Wars

Patrick Lichty voyd at voyd.com
Fri Mar 10 10:51:55 EST 2006

For reference, there has been a long-standing tension between Bowling Green
State's ITS department and the Digital Arts group.

For example, the tech is not part of the School of Art but ITS.  Last year,
Digital Art's Silicon Graphics webserver (bought by the department, running
a version of Linux/Unix) was pulled offline because the there was an
equipment failure, although no one from the department was able to inspect
the machine before it was taken.

The result is that the file serving and web serving was relocated to a
Windows server in the CS/ITS building (for security), all off-site FTP was
blocked for a time (for security, now opened again), administrative access
is to all DA faculty, no non-BGSU approved disk image software can be
installed on any machine (and if you manage it, the machine re-images on
shutdown), and intranet firewalls were set up between every workstation in
the PC lab, which I also believe has been rectified.  Also, there was
resistance to our being able to move the installation Mac Mini's throughout
the building, which is what they were for.

This is as it stood last semester, and I've been busy on a project and have
not heard much mroe on the subject in the last 2 months.  I imagine that
some progress has been made, but the 2005 acrtions created a lot of
tensions.  There's a rumor that some of this started when ITS learned we
were using Carnivore for installations, but I have no concrete evidence.

We've had meetings on this subject, and ITS has been willing to work with us
as long as we keep the server there, use their tech, etc.  There have been
solutions, as we've gotten off-site commercial hosting for server-side art
projects

I share this information because I think it shows a totalitarian stance
towards academic IT management, and wanted to get the community's take on
this.

Has anyone else had issues like this?