[iDC] Net autonomy

Alfredo Cramerotti projects at alfredocramerotti.net
Wed Mar 22 19:01:50 EST 2006

On 22/03/2006, at 23.14, Trebor Scholz wrote:

> The word ³autonomous² (having its own laws) is not the most fitting
> term. It has connotations of a certain self-sufficiency and isolation.
> I question the long-term sustainability of these initiatives.

I refer here to a little book by Alfonso Berardinelli [1], in which
he analyses quite cleverly the concept of Autonomy.
Autonomy has its own fascination given by the notion of the Self,
that subjective identity that manages to create its own rules of life
and behaviour without absorbing someone else's, and it is referred as
a sort of 'solid' concept - as opposed as Liberty, that often is felt
as too vague. But laws and rules according to which we live are not
completely our own invention, or conscious choice. They are not
generated by our autonomous will. Conversely, they are often (if not
always) generated by certain automatisms, and we, instead of
autonomous, feel like robots ('automi' in Italian).

The Self, in its voracity for the lost Autonomy, becomes blind to the
Autonomy of the Other. Autonomy devours reality, it negates it.
Sounds bad? Think again: The auto-defensive Attention to my Autonomy
makes me aware and curious about the Other's Autonomy. And in this
curiosity and attentiveness I can discover in my identity something
which I didn't know, another Self that I cannot govern and that could
belong to someone else who isn't me. I could acquire, so to speak, a
dynamic idea of myself, rather than a static one.

Since Identity and Autonomy can become a prison, we need to escape.
And to do that, we need something or someone which attracts us out of
ourselves. Attraction. Attention. Other. Love, maybe. Someone has
said the fundament of Love is Attention. Attention is an Art. In the
end, is better be autonomous also from ourselves.

Berardinelli gives a lot of thoughts about the individual, and the
necessity to take responsibility of one own' action. Stupidity in the
end is the unable-ness to foresee our actions' consequences. Maybe we
should elaborate an idea of life - and happiness - which certainly is
more personal, but also less 'on the market'. In every action -
individual or collective - the responsibility is and must remain of
the individual. Here comes into play the notion of Attention, which,
to me, represents the key for Autonomy.
Autonomy not necessarily as the self-governing practice, rather as
the Self that pay Attention to every single step it takes, and
attempt to comprehend what's beyond the second step.

[1] Alfonso Berardinelli, 'L'abc del mondo contemporaneo', minimum
fax, 2004

best,
Alfredo

A. Cramerotti +45 26930501 / +49 1738210267

http://mediageographies.blogspot.com
www.annualgeneralmeeting.net
www.alfredocramerotti.net