[iDC] Autonomous spaces online?

Isabelle Arvers zabarvers at bluewin.ch
Thu Mar 23 03:19:56 EST 2006

Hi,

thanks for the invitation to participate to the list

reading your last posts, the main problem seems to be time acting
like a "rouleau compresseur" on the autonomy process, as if things
have to remain little otherwise after a certain time of growth, their
shape will change.

autonomy seems possible temporary, because then things are escaping
to other states,
time and size,
a natural process against autonomy?

the utopian experience of "montagne verdi" with anarchists &
libertarians gave equally birth to extreme left ideas and nazism

coming back to the idea of open source and free software community,
and to the idea of autonomy in technology: systemic enclosure seems
to be part of the deal

a bit like art when it is perceived as holy and unreachable by the
massive part of the population,  those who are autonomous technically
can today be compared to the new clericans of our age, they have a
very rare knowledge but their attitude is not always open and
tolerant which is quite schysophrenic if they want to enlarge the use
of free softwares and open source, if there is no bridge, there won't
be a large use

in france, where state funding is the more common way to fund art
projects, i guess that a solution towards more autonmy could be to go
in direction of mixte fundings: state and private fundings, to
diversify the ressources, in order to reduce the power of each

i agree that with the money of the net economy, a lot of good
projects emerged, even if they were financed by the "devil" (just for
fun), it gave a lot of ressources for creativity, since that period,
many good creators were obliged to move from the art or research
world to fund themselves...

Isabelle Arvers

www.isabelle-arvers.com