[iDC] The "electricity" of near future participation (p1)

John Hopkins jhopkins at commspeed.net
Tue Oct 10 14:24:49 EDT 2006

this is many postings late in the discussion, I
forgot to send it while on the road...  but...

Hi Trebor...

I still don't get how the reality of the COMMAND
AND CONTROL system necessary to do ALL these
things recedes to near-invisibility in the
discussion.

All this stuff rests on a very real, very humanly
constructed and controlled system.  Someone runs
it, someone decides how it is used, someone
decides what to do with all the data (required to
run it), etc, etc, etc...

And I don't think that someone is you (as
consumer).  There is the illusion of control at
the consumer end, but I think that illusion is
akin to the illusion of the junkie being in
control of the heroin fix he uses...

The future, the now, and the then look the same
because there are fundamental principles still
operating behind the materialist curtain that
obscures our vision.  I think the principles
relate to human nature and how the process of
socialization proceeds (and to what ends
collective systems coalesce and project their
collective energies).

When there is an end of war, then we may find
that all our competitive memory enhancing labor
saving devices are redundant -- we can sit with
other humans who in our immediate vicinity and
live lives of connection and generosity rather
than alienation & greed..

>What would an emancipatory relationship with a networked object look
>like? Should we assume that there would be no exploitation of labor, no
>class differences, no poverty, no people without heath insurance, and no
>people without access to hardware or the network of networks in that
>near future scenario? What would a "unaligned alliance" of networked
>objects look like?

I think those would be naïve assumptions in a
system that would have necessary and sufficient
command-and-control to maintain order over all
the things.

Just imagine the energy/power consumption if all
the world's population had cellphones, computers,
remote control interfaces, gps units, and all the
attendant things that you assume -- if there was
a global infrastructure bearing that level of
development, the resources of the world would be
exhausted in short order.  Emancipation?  we have
not yet managed to do this with human-to-human
connections, why should the projection of that
concept onto material objects be somehow less
fraught with the problematic nature of the
creators of such systems?

Unaligned Alliance -- you mean principalities of
networked objects?  Then I would suggest a
re-reading of Machiavelli to sketch the general
set of interactions between unaligned systems
(since they are not autonomous of human
manipulation...

Should discussions of technological potential be
laudatory 50% and critical 50% -- or some other
balance?

Cheers
John