[iDC] THE ANTI WEB 2.0 MANIFESTO (Andrew Keen)

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 01:46:46 EDT 2007

Hi Andrew,

not to directly answer your question, but I believe that the following books
may shed useful light on the inner logic of the new peer production modes

 - the hacker ethic, by Pekka Himanen, explain how the new professionals
learn from each other

 - the success of open source, by steven weber, describes in detail how open
source projects produce together and are governned

Both of these will give you an inside view.

The key is, for projects that work around equipotential selection, i.e. no a
priori filtering of talent, to find the right mode of a posteriori
selectivity, i.e. processes of communal validation, that do not lead to
lowest common denominator results, but select for quality.

These are matters of design and experience, and not essentialist matters, as
every mode of production has strenghts and weakenesses, successes and
failures,

Lots of books are listed here at
http://www.p2pfoundation.net/Category:Books

Links to the new work cultures and management theories at
http://del.icio.us/mbauwens/P2P-Work-Culture

and
http://del.icio.us/mbauwens/P2P-Management

Michel

On 4/27/07, Andrew Keen <ak at aftertv.com> wrote:

> I am interested in the idea of talent. Could people please suggest some
> good books on talent (something comprehensible that a fluffy
> manifesto-maker like me could understand)?
>

> R Labossiere wrote:
> > I wonder if I might redirect this topic slightly and if the list might
> > respond in a kind of "organized enquiry".
> >
> > Preamble: Whether amateur or professional, lo or hi brow, there are
> > structures of validation in creative, cultural matters. As someone who
> > works within hi art structures of validation daily, I can assure you
> > that these structures are very much intact and not at all worried
> > about the Web, amateurs or any of that (rendering the so-called
> > "manifesto" of the imaginary "Mr. K" moot, and fluffy moot at that :)
> >
> > Topic: What I'm wondering about is the relationship between validation
> > and what I'll call "agency," taken quite literally, in the sense of
> > talent or sports agents, where someone (or something) represents
> > another (the "talent"), managing their production toward the end of
> > maximizing opportunities and rewards.
> >
> > Within virtual environments, agency can have a complicated
> > technological meaning (not my enquiry). For example, I am here
> > speaking to you, a learned group people I would not otherwise have met
> > because the list-serv software and methodology effectively acts as my
> > "agent", negotiating an opportunity for my "talent"  to earn
> > "rewards." (now if it would only send you a bill! :)
> >
> > Caveat: But that's not what I want to get at, or not entirely. I don't
> > want you to get bogged down in technology. I am interested in how
> > "agency" works in a broader sense, multiplying and accelerating
> > efficacy, creating "capital" as it were within all kinds of
> environments.
> >
> > Questions:
> >
> > At what pont does the creative person benefit from an agent? (Does
> > agency necessarily come only after success, when it is really about
> > success management rather than talent management?)
> >
> > Would all artists (and all creative people actually) benefit from
> > "agents?"
> >
> > What happens if everyone has an agent?
> >
> > How do we determine who (or what) is the "best" agent?
> >
> > Can "best" agents work equally for everyone without becoming "lesser"
> > agents?
> >
> > If you know of other resources on this concept of "agency" it would be
> > great if you could let me know.
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > - Robert Labossiere

> > iDC Photo Stream:
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/idcnetwork/

The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer
alternatives.

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at
http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html;
video interview, at
http://www.masternewmedia.org/news/2006/09/29/network_collaboration_peer_to_peer.htm

The work of the P2P Foundation is supported by
http://www.ws-network.com/04_team.htm