[iDC] THE ANTI WEB 2.0 MANIFESTO (Andrew Keen)

Adam Arvidsson arvidsson at hum.ku.dk
Sun Apr 29 15:26:32 EDT 2007

hi Andrew & Michel

if you read french ( I know you do michel), there's Gabriel Tarde's
classic 'Psychologie économique' from 1904. I'm re-reading it now and
he's really right on spot as to web 2.0, viral public opinion, the
ways in which talent can be thought of as a socialized puissance,
rather than an individual asset. Also Maurizio Lazzarato's writings
on Tarde (La puissance de l'innovation) are a great guide.

best

adam

On 28/apr/07, at 07:46, Michel Bauwens wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> not to directly answer your question, but I believe that the
> following books may shed useful light on the inner logic of the new
> peer production modes
>
>  - the hacker ethic, by Pekka Himanen, explain how the new
> professionals learn from each other
>
>  - the success of open source, by steven weber, describes in detail
> how open source projects produce together and are governned
>
> Both of these will give you an inside view.
>
> The key is, for projects that work around equipotential selection,
> i.e. no a priori filtering of talent, to find the right mode of a
> posteriori selectivity, i.e. processes of communal validation, that
> do not lead to lowest common denominator results, but select for
> quality.
>
> These are matters of design and experience, and not essentialist
> matters, as every mode of production has strenghts and weakenesses,
> successes and failures,
>
> Lots of books are listed here at
> http://www.p2pfoundation.net/Category:Books
>
> Links to the new work cultures and management theories at
> http://del.icio.us/mbauwens/P2P-Work-Culture
>
> and
> http://del.icio.us/mbauwens/P2P-Management
>
> Michel
>
> On 4/27/07, Andrew Keen <ak at aftertv.com> wrote:
> I am interested in the idea of talent. Could people please suggest
> some
> good books on talent (something comprehensible that a fluffy
> manifesto-maker like me could understand)?
>

> R Labossiere wrote:
> > I wonder if I might redirect this topic slightly and if the list
> might
> > respond in a kind of "organized enquiry".
> >
> > Preamble: Whether amateur or professional, lo or hi brow, there are
> > structures of validation in creative, cultural matters. As
> someone who
> > works within hi art structures of validation daily, I can assure you
> > that these structures are very much intact and not at all worried
> > about the Web, amateurs or any of that (rendering the so-called
> > "manifesto" of the imaginary "Mr. K" moot, and fluffy moot at
> that :)
> >
> > Topic: What I'm wondering about is the relationship between
> validation
> > and what I'll call "agency," taken quite literally, in the sense of
> > talent or sports agents, where someone (or something) represents
> > another (the "talent"), managing their production toward the end of
> > maximizing opportunities and rewards.
> >
> > Within virtual environments, agency can have a complicated
> > technological meaning (not my enquiry). For example, I am here
> > speaking to you, a learned group people I would not otherwise
> have met
> > because the list-serv software and methodology effectively acts
> as my
> > "agent", negotiating an opportunity for my "talent"  to earn
> > "rewards." (now if it would only send you a bill! :)

> [...]

Adam Arvidsson
Associate Professor, Media Studies
Department of Media, Cognition and Communication
University of Copenhagen
Njalsgade 80
2300 Copenhagen S

check out what I'm doing at