[iDC] Re: iDC Digest, Vol 30, Issue 26

Palo Fabuš palo.fabus at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 16:50:57 EDT 2007

Hi, John

I like your point and would like to offer a humble elaboration.

The conditions of gaining and disposing of social power in social
media is necessarily confined in the same way instant messaging is
limited in comparison with face-to-face communication. The means of
enculturation in the environment of social media thus naturally yield
hyperbolization and exaggeration. Just like the communication through
instant messaging adopted the use of de iure strong acronyms like LOL
and ROFLMAO.

The clash of old paradigm (with it's meaning of "friend") and
conditions of new environment in the "plane of reference" is a source
of a notion of absurdity (2500 friends!!) and a culture shock in
general. So it is not an issue to find a solution for but a new
constellation of signifiers and signified's to get used to. The
meaning of "friend" is just becoming more complex.

--
Palo Fabuš
palofabus.net

> Message: 5