[iDC] Agency (was Re: THE ANTI WEB 2.0 MANIFESTO)

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 11:56:28 EDT 2007

Great questions and ideas, Rob, (some feedback from me follows)...

> R Labossiere wrote:
> > I wonder if I might redirect this topic slightly and if the list might
> > respond in a kind of "organized enquiry".
> >
> > Preamble: Whether amateur or professional, lo or hi brow, there are
> > structures of validation in creative, cultural matters. As someone who
> > works within hi art structures of validation daily, I can assure you
> > that these structures are very much intact and not at all worried
> > about the Web, amateurs or any of that (rendering the so-called
> > "manifesto" of the imaginary "Mr. K" moot, and fluffy moot at that :)
> >
> > Topic: What I'm wondering about is the relationship between validation
> > and what I'll call "agency," taken quite literally, in the sense of
> > talent or sports agents, where someone (or something) represents
> > another (the "talent"), managing their production toward the end of
> > maximizing opportunities and rewards.
> >
> > Within virtual environments, agency can have a complicated
> > technological meaning (not my enquiry). For example, I am here
> > speaking to you, a learned group of people I would not otherwise have
> met
> > because the list-serv software and methodology effectively acts as my
> > "agent", negotiating an opportunity for my "talent"  to earn
> > "rewards." (now if it would only send you a bill! :)
> >
> > Caveat: But that's not what I want to get at, or not entirely. I don't
> > want you to get bogged down in technology. I am interested in how
> > "agency" works in a broader sense, multiplying and accelerating
> > efficacy, creating "capital" as it were within all kinds of
> environments.
> >
> > Questions:
> >
> > At what point does the creative person benefit from an agent? (Does
> > agency necessarily come only after success, when it is really about
> > success management rather than talent management?)

Having had varying degrees of success myself in music (
http://myspace.com/wanderjahr), writing, and other creative endeavors, I
know from general exposure and personal experience that many very successful
creative people hire, or employ "agents". I think some of them hire or
employ the agents for the social and professional network connections they
may have, and also because the agent saves them time, of course, in securing
promotion/distribution/engagements etc.

This is a traditional approach to "agency" for creatives trying to market
themselves, and manage their careers. It's a arrangement that has been
designed to engage with an industry that has traditionally had a high
barrier of entry.

David Bollier wrote a paper last year that discusses some ideas about how
many economic sectors are changing and shifting. I wrote a summary of it
here http://www.cooperationcommons.com/Documents/EntryView?id=129

The changes and shifts mentioned above are adaptations to environments where
more and more channels of communication are "open" among all actors. And,
where more and more information is findable, copy-able and portable. In this
new environment, groups who create conditions that make it easier for them
to quickly collaborate with other groups end up coming out ahead of their
competition.

In the creative content industries, people are beginning to discover that
they can communicate and collaborate directly with their fan-base online.
They can cut out layers of "agency". This is bad for the talent agent
industry, but rather good for those who create content.

> > Would all artists (and all creative people actually) benefit from
> > "agents?"

We all have some form of "agency", even if it is through people talking
about us to other people, and referring them back to a website, store, or
other location where people can buy or sample creative wares.

> > What happens if everyone has an agent?

See last answer :)

> > How do we determine who (or what) is the "best" agent?

Every person has unique circumstances, so there is really no blanket way to
determine what is the "best agent."

First look at the local conditions, at the problems people are actually
trying to solve, and how different possible solutions resonate with a
person's ethics/worldview, and how different solutions will work for the
unique social conditions and contexts. Sometimes the "best agent" can be the
people who buy the final product. You can give them ways to communicate with
you, and tell you what they want, and then you can assemble a group of
provider "agents" to help you create and distribute what people are looking
actually looking for.

> > Can "best" agents work equally for everyone without becoming "lesser"
> > agents?

In the old economy, where people where trying to make one size fits all
products, there was not a lot of room for many people. Now there is infinite
room, and the trick is to make something with quality that people genuinely
want, and use the nature of the medium to make it findable in an honest way.

--
Sam Rose
Social Synergy
email: samuel.rose at gmail.com