[iDC] Second Life case studies

Sean FitzGerald seanf at tig.com.au
Wed Aug 1 08:55:30 UTC 2007

Hi Paul,

You might find the resources that Jo Kay and I have developed to
introduce Second Life to teachers of value -
http://sleducation.wikispaces.com/ . There we have general Second Life
resources including how to get started, resources for teachers and some
ways that Second Life can be used for education.

As our focus is fairly practical, we don't directly link to many
academic papers but the resources section links to some sites that do.

I highly recommend you join the Second Life Educators mailing list -
https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/educators - it has
thousands of educators, academics and instructional designers using
Second Life on it, many of whom have been assessing the educational
value of Second Life and could point to the sorts of analyses you are after.

Sean

Paul B. Hartzog wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> I am working on a syllabus for a foundation course at the School of
> Information here at the University of Michigan, and we are hoping to
> introduce the students to some kinds of thinking about the social web
> using Second Life as a case study.
>
> I am looking for recommendations of scholarly/pedagogical papers about
> the following:
>
> 1. using SL to educate (holding classes in SL, etc.).
> 2. papers discussing groups that evaluated whether or not to create a
> presence in SL (I am interested in documentation of the evaluation
> process, not the outcome of the evaluation).
> 3. information about where to go if a student wants to know more about SL
> 4. SL "walk-throughs", i.e. what it is, what you can do, etc. (tutorials)
>
> much thx in advance,
> -Paul

> http://www.PaulBHartzog.org
> http://www.panarchy.com
> PaulBHartzog at PaulBHartzog.org
> PaulBHartzog at panarchy.com
> PHartzog at umich.edu
> The Universe is made up of stories, not atoms.
>                  --Muriel Rukeyser
>
> See differently, then you will act differently.
>                  --Paul B. Hartzog

Sean FitzGerald
Tel: +61 (0)2 9360 3291
Mob: +61 (0)404 130 342
Skype: seamusy
Email: seanf at tig.com.au
Second Life: Sean McDunnough
Website: http://seanfitz.wikispaces.com/
Blog: http://seanfitzgerald.wordpress.com/
SL in Education: http://sleducation.wikispaces.com/
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/seanfitzgerald

Man is a credulous animal and must believe something.
In the absence of good grounds for belief, he will
be satisfied with bad ones.
-- Bertrand Russell