[iDC] (no subject)

Samuel Rose samuel.rose at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 14:02:03 UTC 2007

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 14:13:46 -0600
> From: "Luis Camnitzer" <camnitzer1 at gmail.com>
> Subject: [iDC] (no subject)
> To: idc <iDC at mailman.thing.net>
>

> Some questions worth discussing, or at least to possibly contextualize our
> work: Are being rejected by the Patent Office in Berlin or by MoMA in New
> York on the same ideological plane, with a difference in degree but not in
> quality?  Is our primary mission as artists to produce commerce fitting
> monuments to ourselves, or is it to use art to help bring ethics into the
> picture. Is there good unethical art? (Which is different to good art made
> by unethical people). Are we to be producers of objects or shapers of
> culture?
>
> Luis Camnitzer (camnitzer1 at gmail.com)
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Hmm...I have never seen a seperation between "producers of objects" and
"shapers of culture".

Those people who create and deploy practically anything into this world are
*bound* to have some shaping influence on culture.  These kinds of questions
were covered long ago by people like McLuhan, R. Buckminster Fuller,
http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?ChristopherAlexander  and many, many
more.

One thing that is interesting to me is how the influence on culture changes
and morphs as it moves through human systems. The way that the users of
produced objects further shape culture by inserting their own cultural
influence into the perceptions that feed back to the producers.

Also currently even more interesting to me is the direction that
technological production is moving into, that is basically giving people
access to many of the means of production that were the exclusive domain of
large and wealthy industries.

How will humans and human cultures change, when many, many people have the
means to influence the shaping of culture? There are no guarantees that
things will turn out in any given scenario. The burden is actually upon (us)
people to choose how they'll wield this knowledge and new found power of
production. And, the burden is upon (us) people to understand the far
reaching consequences of our choices.

--
Sam Rose
Social Synergy