[iDC] (no subject)

mark bartlett mark at globalpostmark.net
Wed Dec 19 06:36:08 UTC 2007

Luis,

I hadn't read your comments below before i sent my reply to Ryan and
Danny and you.

I only repeated, there, in more elaborate terms what you've said more
eloquently.

You posit an "altruistic ethics," which flies in the face of both
scientism and individualism. We definitely agree on your "navel/lint"
law of ethical demise....

Oh yeah! the "common good!"

I hope Jeffrey Skoller weighs in here in regard to your eloquent
expression of why ethics and politics need to be maintained as
separate discourses, as you have put it:

> - "because ethical behavior seems to have become a subversive
> activity. This makes art that follows (not illustrates) an ethical
> stand subversive as well."

and then your expression of the "law" of altruistic ethics:

"But art is subversive because it subverts conventional knowledge,
which if planned, makes it part of a political strategy. This only
works when informed by ethics and that is why I am reluctant to take
one word for the other.  With politics we compromise, with ethics at
least we can tell where and why we compromise, and even if we should
compromise."

and indeed:

"the challenge is to reappraise our function as artists [social
actors in general]  and see what is to be done now."

The critical question about your comments is: does art subvert
conventional knowledge? Obviously, not necessarily. So, how do we
know when that is the case? Which you give criteria for: when it is
planned.

So the ethical issue, in your terms, is: how to plan.

which you also answer: ethics means - "at least we can tell where and
why we compromise, and even if we should compromise."

This is the Camnitzer Code of Ethics, for, this historical moment.

at the risk of being pedantic: the Camnitzer Code has a powerful
ancestor in Michel Serres work of the early 80's, Parasite, where he
uses system theory to read the "fables of Aesop, La Fontaine, etc.
The initial chapter performs a system theory (social network)
analysis of the fable about the "country mouse" visiting the "city
mouse" in the house of the "tax farmer."  Scraps from the Tax
Framer's table fall to the floor on which the city mouse feeds, and
this is the "banquet" to which the country mouse is invited. But the
Tax Farmer provides the "banquet" by taxing the production of the
country mouse [the originary farmer on which the Tax Farmer feeds].
So the country mouse is the source of the banquet in the first place.
So the city and country mice are eating beneath the framers' table
when a loud "noise" is heard - and they scatter: the system is
suddenly ruptured by unidentifiable "noise." [Art as planned noise]
Was the noise the farmer waking up and hearing the commotion beneath
his table? Etc. "Parasite" in French simultaneously means 3 things:
host, parasite, and noise. To keep this short: Serres demonstrates
that each of those "subject" positions are inevitably interchangeable
- host becomes guest becomes noise becomes host becomes guest
becoming noise. It's an ethico-political model of inevitable complicity.

Despite the inevitable complicity, Serres' position leads to a clear
path for political action: to vastly oversimplify: err, radically, on
the side of creating as much "noise" [art] as possible.

"Noise" becomes the index of "political health." Where "health"
means, altruistic ethics.

mark