[iDC] (no subject)

mlahey at artic.edu mlahey at artic.edu
Thu Dec 20 10:46:09 UTC 2007

It's interesting to read here of ethics posited as subversive.  I've recently
begun Naomi Margolis Maurer's incredible book "The Pursuit of Spiritual Wisdom;
the thought and art of Vincent Van Gogh and Paul Gaugin".  In the introduction
she describes:

"The small number of artists who rebelled against the Academy during the
nineteeth century...claimed that its methodology reflected the rationalist and
materialist biases of Enlightenment thinking, and that these values debased
art's role as an expression of meaningful truth capable of enlarging the
viewer's understanding of life...[they] criticized the Academy for perpetuating
trivial, worthless ideals, for the falseness and trickery of portraying these
ideals as physical actualities, and for suppressing the genuine emotions and
expressive technical processes which could result in original, moving works of
art...[Gaugin's] accusation that the successful, much admired painter
Adolphe-William Bouguereau "stinks from platitudes and impotence" suggests that
the Academician's work is so artificial and anemic that it breathes decay
instead of vitality - that it conveys no forceful, living truth capable of
moving the spectator's heart or igniting fertile ideas in his mind...the
Symbolists leveled the same kind of criticisms against a branch of their own
movement which they repudiated as decadent...[they] consistently condemned
decadent art as eccentric and unhealthy...

They believed that great art is not merely an individual's unique recreation of
things perceived, but the sum of his feelings and ideas about them: his poetic
understanding of the most universal aspects of human experience...It was
because Naturalism preferred the "facts" of surfaces to the deeper realities of
thoughts and feelings that Denis called it "a theory false and evil in itself -
one of these errors that one meets again...in hours of decadence and
sterility.""

in other words, their art was an intensely ethical art (Van Gogh exemplifying
this with his extreme adherence to the teachings of Jesus, for example).  Yet
their view of ethics was not an abstract "do right" philosophy but grounded in
their assertion that human emotions have an objective existence and reality
which ought not trivially to be flouted in the name of Science.

Of course, this is not a prescription for the views that ought to be taken by
contemporary artists, yet is is intriguing to note that their objections were
raised as the industrial revolution gained momentum - momentum which has
carried us to this very moment in technological history.  I've had designers
pooh-pooh the critique of production as mindless, unnecessary and destructive
by saying "people have been saying that since the nineteenth century".  Indeed
they have...and they have been ignored since the nineteenth century as well.

I would venture to suggest that the discussion of ethics being raised here is at
least partially born of the consciousness that we are teetering on the brink of
a new, exponentially larger phase of the technological cycle.  In the
metaindustrializiation, human beings are as much of a controlled commodity as
steel or oil; something that makes your factory go.  Those who are fighting
this version of reality are really up to their neck in it; the idea of life as
inherently valuable has been compromised all the way to the last line of
resistance.

The story of the country mouse and city mouse is where this really gets
interesting.  Analytically speaking, Serres is discussing the division of
value.  His conclusion: that according to any map of the division of value, all
destination points are equal.  In plain English, once value is present, it
attracts those who would like to "consume" it and all of those who are able to
do so fall into the same category as "consumer".  Fine.  Yet I would take issue
with Mark in that debalancing the type of value consumer (in this case, the
artist) is the most effective way to control the system.  In the end, imbalance
is always corrected; and more often than not through violence, repression or
other highly unpleasant means (extinction?).

I would suggest that if one wants to effectively control this system, one would
have to alter the type of value that is being consumed.  I am referring to the
way that objects of financial or caloric value become tied up in cultural
values.  This is how value consumers attempt to ensure their survival; tie the
access to value to a cultural expression describing a category=my identity.
This is the Darwinian reality behind such stodgy beliefs like "hip hop isn't
music, it's noise; Mozart is music" and cultural revolutions like the current
high value of hip hop.

what if we disrupted the equation with value encased in a non-identity?  So for
example; consumers only gain access to value when they open access for a
certain number of others?  In this case the reward is for altruism and
theoretically it could be kept going until everyone has a seat a the table.  In
this light, IDC seems to be effective even without an explicit political
agenda.

One can continue adding criteria like, "in order to access value consumers must
create access for those of a drastically lower access to value category (for
example third world)" or "of a drastically excluded category" like prisoners in
factory prisons, and etc.  The farther afield those with access must range to
find those they include, the more inclusive the system becomes.