[iDC] Blanking________ (the aesthetics of disappearance...)

Christiane Robbins cpr at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 1 18:36:17 EST 2007

Just wanted to enter the fray in the beginning of what I hope to be a
wonderful New Year for us all - I'm pasting below a brief excerpt of
a paper I gave a few years ago in hopes of adding to the discussion:

"  ... What is implied time and again by Virillo in " The Aesthetics
of Disappearance"  is a disturbance in the
perception of what reality is — it is a shock, a mental concussion or
sorts. Experience entails a loss of
orientation regarding alterity — a disturbance of the relationship
with the other and with the World.  What I am
suggesting is that this dislocation, this non-situation, initiates
our embrace of disequilibria in the digital realm.

For those of us who benefit from the rather dubious privilege of
"knowing" modern reality and its co-star,
hyper-reality, we experience at once an abstracted yet more
physiological and cognitive type of disequilibria,
connoted by absence. Virillio posits the contemporary subject as
being susceptible to a mild form of epilepsy,
using the word "picnolepsy".   Picnoleptic states are known as
cognitive forms of absence or disappearance
from one's body.  Such ruptures of the mind/body are easily observed
(and experienced) in our daydreams, in
moments of intense concentration or driving a car — all, which
temporarily disable our sensory receptors.
More often than naught, a thought, a conversation, or a task can
easily be restarted following the disruption of a
momentary picnoleptic event. Paul Virilio describes this state of
absence:

“For these absences, which can be quite numerous... we'll be using
the word "picnolepsy". However, for the
picnoleptic, nothing really has happened, the missing time never
existed. At each crisis, without realizing it, a
little of his or her life simply escaped. Children are the most
frequent victims, and the situation of the young
picnoleptic quickly becomes intolerable. People want to persuade him
[or her] of the existence of events that
he [or she] has not seen, though they effectively happened in his [or
her] presence...”
(The Aesthetics of Disappearance 1994, pp. 9-10)

... The argument I am supporting is that digital technologies
generate (and protract) picnoleptic events. And that
these phenomena will result in an aesthetized state of absence, which
might aptly be characterized as a digital
interruption in an analogic life. "

With all best wishes for 2007 -

Chris

Christiane Robbins