[iDC] partial vs. peripheral attention

john sobol john at johnsobol.com
Tue Jan 2 00:19:06 EST 2007

I've been giving continuous partial attention to this thread for the
past few days. It has casually nagged at me as it nattered
discontinuously along (listservs are 90% CPA) until just now, when, as
I lay restlessly in bed giving continuous partial attention to all
sorts of dreamy thoughts, I found myself focusing productively on the
notion of CPA for the first time.  Which, in a way, is my point. That
most of the time most of us are giving attention to many different
things, and managing that aggregate feed quite comfortably, and
choosing to focus on one stream or another only as needed. In fact, I'd
propose that the P in CPA might more accurately be changed to
Peripheral, as in Continuous Peripheral Attention. That seems to me how
we live most of the time, even when we're unplugged. (All at once
sensing faces, air currents, light sources, soundscapes, memories,
hopes, destinations, calculations, companions, desires, aches and
pains, etc.) And I don't see that our wide-spectrum awareness need
necessarily interfere with our narrowband focus either. As an
improvising musician I'm always trying to balance my focused and
diffused awarenesses when I play within an ensemble. It's a technique.
A sophisticated dialogical skill. Maybe such a skill has to be mastered
to maximize the soulful usefulness of connected culture, like the
competing Yin and Yang energies in Tai Chi, or the Jungian anima and
animus energies. Maybe our (I say our because I believe this holds true
for the vast majority of the readership of this list) resistance to CPA
stems from our collective allegiance to literacy, a profound
attention-focusing technology that unlike aural/oral or digital
networked communication requires that peripheral attention streams be
extinguished to be effective. When there's lots of noise we find it
hard to read or write meaningful texts, and that makes us nervous. We
'blank'. (Supposedly, tho I don't really believe in techno-blanking, at
least not as something significantly different from all the other forms
of 'spacing out' we know and love/hate) But our conflicted experiences
as literate emigrants to the datasphere don't really matter here
anyway. What matters is that there is a generation of kids out there
for whom reading long texts is weird, for whom writing long texts is
weird, for whom literate-style one-way communication that eliminates
peripheral streams is downright freaky. That's why I'd like to think
that continuous peripheral attention is a more accurate description
than continuous partial attention, because the former allows for the
possibility of a focused stream within that peripheral awareness, of a
constructive managing of flow that transcends superficiality and/or
chaos. And thus it suggests to me – in my more optimistic moments
anyway – that the kids having sixteen conversations at once might be
leading somewhere I'd be like to go.

John Sobol
www.thetalkingshop.ca

-- happy new year y'all --