[iDC] The Ethics of Participation

keith at thememorybank.co.uk keith at thememorybank.co.uk
Sun Jan 7 15:06:56 EST 2007

Trebor,

My reading perhaps reflected my own experience as a list moderator more
than your own. I have taught in the States for ten years and I do
understand that politeness and the appearance of kindness count for more
there than in the kind of intellectual roughhouse I grew up in (Cambridge)
and currently inhabit (Paris). If what I wrote was likely to scare the
tender-hearted away, it was not my intention to do so. In fact, I take some
small pleasure in having contributed to what became a fascinating thread.
Conversation is what keeps me coming. I wouldn't say my contributions to
this list have been many. I often feel that the tone and style of exchanges
doesn't offer me a suitable point of entry, as in the excellent thread(s)
before this one. Maybe what it is at issue here is plain-speaking as
opposed to academic periphrasis. But I didn't expect to make that point
when I started out this short reply.

Keith