[iDC] Re: The Ethics of Leisure

Tara McPherson tmcphers at usc.edu
Wed Jan 10 17:39:00 EST 2007

Further kudos to Judith.

Having just completed a three-year stint as chair of my division that
ran parallel to my first few years of parenting, I often noted how each
duty compelled a similar state of distraction, a mode of daily operation
that often served to position my time as 'not my own.'  The skill sets
for doing either job overlap as well: the ability to broker compromise,
negotiate egos, be constantly available, organize mundane details of
everyday living, etc.  And, if recent studies are to be believed, women
often end up bearing the burden of both types of labor: parenting and
mid-level university administration, contributing to a marked lag in
promotion to full professor positions, at least in the US.

The increased mediation of the workplace and the blur of any
public/private divide that this facilitates certainly contributed to the
24/7 nature of chairing my department.  Virginia Woolf commented on the
need to have a 'room of one's own' if women were to achieve success as
writers;  sometimes I think I'll need mine to be unwired...

Tara McPherson