[iDC] Re: The Ethics of Leisure

john sobol john at johnsobol.com
Wed Jan 10 18:54:05 EST 2007

A few thoughts...

One of the things that parenting teaches is that  "I want a shit job
for peanuts" is simply not a viable attitude when you have dependents.
In fact, not only is not 'viable' but it is - unless one happens to be
a true saint - basically immoral and dumb. Which is not to say we
should all be trying to get rich, but no decent parent seeks to be
genuinely poor without a very, very good reason. And dealing a tiny
little symbolic blow against capitalism, is not, imho, one.

There's a reason that students lead a lot of revolutionary movements
and it's primarily that they are free to act pretty much without
consequences. Real flaneurs make dubious dads. (or moms)

With regards to the gendering of attention, no doubt you are right
Judith in arguing that continuous partial/peripheral attention is the
psychological condition of mothering. But along with that liminal state
there is also a unifying psychological condition, a 'diffuse
awareness', to bring back a term that was associated with our
discussion of CPA, maybe also identifiable as 'women's intuition', a
passé term that nonetheless has many contemporary formulations in
various feminist traditions (tho obviously not all).  Maybe these two
modes are related. Maybe they are the same. (Not saying they are, and
not meaning to be glib, but throwing it out there.) Maybe the networked
age of Continuous Peripheral Attention trains multitasking men too in a
kind of sympathetic consciousness that while not exactly 'situationist'
in scope, nonetheless  intrinsically resists some of the top-down
brainwashing of capitalist hyper-linearity.

Ok...before I get massacred, I want to say that I'm really just
thinking aloud here...

cheers
john