[iDC] Praxis-based Ph.D.s

David Hakken dhakken at indiana.edu
Thu Jan 11 14:31:56 EST 2007

On Jan 11, 2007, at 2:56 AM, Margaret Morse wrote:

> Dear IDCs,
> I introduced myself briefly last week.  I teach at the University
> of California at Santa Cruz in the department of Film and Digital
> Media. I am also the Chair of the Digital Arts/New Media MFA
> Program, but that isn't on the table here.  Trebor suggested that
> thinking about media education might proceed from specific examples
> to larger questions.  I want to describe the  Ph.D that has been
> proposed by Film and Digital Media--it hasn't been sent to the
> highest levels of the university for for acceptance yet-- as one of
> possibilities ways of thinking about such a Ph.D.
>
> There are many reasons to create a practice-based Ph.D. for
> example, the practical need for (media) artists in academia to have
> full access to doctoral status in order to forge a successful
> career in the academic hierarchy,  the positive belief in (media)
> art as a mode for creating knowledge that should have access to a
> broader or deeper foundation of studies,

Dear Margaret
Thanks for your interesting post.  I was hoping you could also
address the nature of the knowledge claim you are making for (media)
art; for example, a relatively weak claim would be that, in the
process of trying to represent what we know in media, we become aware
of what we don't know, so we go back and find it out, whereas a
stronger claim would be that making (media) art is itself its own way
of knowing.  I ask as an information ethnographer who has recently
studied knowledge management and Knowledge Society claims, as well as
someone who once put a great deal of effort into trying to write an
ethnography of IT and social change with my partner, PhD in English
literature.  The effort failed over, among other things, whether
writing was an act of representing what we had learned elsewhere
(e.g., via fieldwork) or was itself an act of knowledge creation.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts

David

David Hakken
Information Ethnographer
Professor of Social Informatics
Director of International Activities
School of Informatics
Room 1033 Eigenmann Hall
Indiana University
Bloomington, IN 47406
dhakken at indiana.edu
812-856-1869 office; 812-391-2966
http://www.informatics.indiana.edu/research/profiles/dhakken.asp
"Creating intellectual property is the essence of what we do at
Microsoft..."--Microsoft press release, August, 2005