[iDC] Praxis-based Ph.D.s

Margaret Morse memorse at comcast.net
Thu Jan 11 02:56:51 EST 2007

Dear IDCs,
I introduced myself briefly last week.  I teach at the University of
California at Santa Cruz in the department of Film and Digital Media.
I am also the Chair of the Digital Arts/New Media MFA Program, but
that isn't on the table here.  Trebor suggested that thinking about
media education might proceed from specific examples to larger
questions.  I want to describe the  Ph.D that has been proposed by
Film and Digital Media--it hasn't been sent to the highest levels of
the university for for acceptance yet-- as one of possibilities ways
of thinking about such a Ph.D.

There are many reasons to create a practice-based Ph.D. for example,
the practical need for (media) artists in academia to have full
access to doctoral status in order to forge a successful career in
the academic hierarchy,  the positive belief in (media) art as a mode
for creating knowledge that should have access to a broader or deeper
foundation of studies, the acceptance of a wider range of learning
styles and modes of expression in a multi-media/digital culture, the
fading significance of the specificity of media within digital and
multi-media production that integrates writing and imagery and so on.
What I am going to describe in the next couple of posts is a strictly
academic rather than professional Ph.D. that might be based on
distance learning and aside from summer doesn't consist of courses
taken in full-time residency.  I hope others will articulate a range
of practice-based  Ph.D..models.

Our program is not actually an exclusively practice-based Ph.D.,
rather it is a combination of theory and practice.  The process of
designing this Ph.D. took several years and included two retreats for
the whole faculty.  It grew out of a practical need in the department
to overcome a split between criticism and production in our faculty
and our courses.  We functioned as two parallel worlds also split
with an exception or two, by gender.  The critical studies faculty
financially supported the department with large courses, but had less
power, the production faculty had smaller courses and was dominant.
Such class divisions can go either way in a media department--often
production faculty are the underclass.  We began to work against this
hierarchy by hiring what we called "hybrids"--scholars who were
artists/artists who were scholars and who teach critical studies and
production.  These colleagues were thought of and indeed are models
of the kind of student we want our Ph.D. program to produce. Problems
have arisen in the workload of "hybrids" and in evaluating their
creative and scholarly production fairly that we are working to
resolve.  The whole idea of "hybrids" does, of course, still depend
on the difference between critical studies and production that is
questionable.  Furthermore, thought is going into revising our
undergraduate curriculum in order to integrate from what we have
learned through designing the "hybrid" Ph.D.  In reflecting on this
history, I decided the impetus for our  Ph.D. was not abstract
reasoning, but rather a matter of establishing social justice within
our own domain as well as realism about the waning sense that
departmentalizing ourselves based on medium made in a digital
culture.  In other words, digital media studies played a role in this
process.

I am going to close with that for now.  In my next post, I'll say
something about the Ph.D.'s structure and provide a url. Since this
strand is part of a discourse on media education, I will also say
something about our undergraduates courses and how the division into
separate media has become questionable.  I am not sure any of you
will find this interesting--I await your thoughts. I haven't decided
exactly where this is going--but seeing the way threads morph on IDC,
that would not be my decision.

Best wishes,
Margaret Morse