[iDC] Off Topic Thesis Research Question

michelle samuel m.samuel at comcast.net
Sat Jan 13 17:08:37 EST 2007

Hi all,

I enjoy reading the writing produced here and have found this list to
be a great source of reading and research resources.

  I am a longtime lurker who has been hesitant to post, because of
what I assume to be primarily a “professorial” focus.
I have a fine arts background, (bfa). I also assume I am older than
most on this list, as I have a teenage son, (many of you seem to be
in the beginning stages of family). But correct me if I am mistaken.
I am not a professor, there are, after all, only so many colleges and
universities... I have gone back to school and am choosing to enter
the middle or high school realm of teaching.

If I have time to participate, it is in quick chunks, often rough. I
do not have the time to carefully craft my words as most on this
list.  My first/natural choice in language would be communication
through images.  Writing is something I never became accomplished at.

All that said, I am currently doing a masters thesis (action
research) in education that will explore the value of consciously
teaching the "stages" of creativity, in conjunction with the "craft".

This would be in conjunction with a "typical" fine arts class,
teaching the “craft” of various disciplines (printmaking, computer
graphics, drawing, painting, hybrid media, etc.)

Through my years of experience as a graphic designer (by necessity)
in the corporate world , I eventually did not experience a big
demarcation between traditional and hybrid media, in terms of
creative process, the skill sets transfer easily, unless fear (of the
unfamiliar?) is factored in.  Traditional media can also encompass
fear, but culturally it seems that computer anxiety in learning is
different.  I often found myself wanting to "command z" when working
in traditional media.  Conversely I have found my approach to process
in using photoshop and illustrator akin the way I use process in
traditional media.  I offer this digression as a point of reference
in the definition of process.

My question and request:

1.)  For the purposes of my paper, I am deconstructing the stages of
the creative process.  I recognize of course that creativity is not a
fixed process, but do think there are some common shared processes.

Can anyone point me in the direction of books or papers concerning
the value of ambiguity in the creative process?

(The most exemplary art instructors I have had deftly interleave both
aspects as they teach.  I can count those on two fingers.  What is
your experience in terms of a successful melding of these aspects?)

2.)  Another area of investigation is “teacher as translator or
intermediary”, (not in a hierarchical manner, as in teacher cascading
down to student,) but more in the realm of teacher being fluent in
the "language" of the other and acting from there.

3.) The clincher of course will be how to devise a way to "collect"
data in a classroom environment once I design the premise of the
research.  In my reading, although qualitative research is espoused
as a valid way to proceed, it still appears to need a measurement
contrivance which I have difficulty devising in a formal manner.

Thanks for all your past and future contributions.

Michelle