[iDC] sharing "new media" curricula/potentials

Blanca Rodrguez blanca_estella at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 22 07:28:38 EST 2007

Hi all and thanks Trebor for propitiating this discussion.
My name is Blanca Estela and I am also an artist working with technological
media, basically working on language and communication issues. I found
really interesting the question you have raised Tiffany since I find really
urgent that professors and artist re think the way these “programs” have to
develop in a further time.
In my case I was studying at the Science Art & Technology Masters program in
Sweden directed by a Doctor in Physics. In the beginning we were also about
40 students from different countries and different disciplines (artist,
designers, architects, dancers, doctors, engineers, biologist, performers
etc).  The aim of the program as usual was to provoke people working
together in a community environment in multidisciplinary projects which was
a great idea. While working in group was not always easy, some designers and
engineers forced themselves to become artist, there were differences of
ideas and goals of people, and it was very hard for some artist to
understand the media; some groups worked out  and some people worked better
alone. The interesting fact was that people got used to the community after
some time, and people helped each other even though they were not in the
group selected for working.
Learning programming was also hard, since some people new more than others,
therefore we learned in small groups the different programming languages
regarding to personal interest for example some groups were learning java,
others c++, open GL, Python, regarding to the project proposed; of course
some people never managed to get into programming at all because of the
complexity of this and also because they thought that was a problem to be
solved by engineers.
One of the biggest problems in this program was the lack of contact to other
universities, small institutions or schools working with same issues since
people really needed that in the beginning. Students felt really isolated,
of course that made people to react and to look for their own way, which I
found interesting because that made us autonomous but I think that the
process was too hard and some people gave up before finishing the program.
I find important that education related to new media and art need structured
programs but flexible as well. Defined goals for teaching are important but
I do not think defined goals for projects are necessary since the goals and
projects need to be proposed by the students and their projects. Each
project and student requires independent time, technology, information and
assessors. And for sure it is also necessary to have independent students
enrolled in these programs, they need to be sure about their conceptual
ideas.

Well that is my viewpoint.
Best, Blanca Estela