[iDC] sharing "new media" curricula/potentials

Tiffany Holmes tholme at artic.edu
Thu Jan 25 15:36:09 EST 2007

Dear IDCers,

Thanks so much to Rachel Beth, Geoff, Joel, Kevin, Patrick, and
Andrea for their recent posts to this thread.  It seems that we are
wrestling with some pretty difficult questions...here is a recap for
folks who might want to add to the discussion:

Rachel Beth's question: How do "digital media" departments situate
themselves in a place of their own without closing themselves off?

One way to avoid departmental isolation is to build community
outside. I really believe that the answer to this isolation problem
comes from building bridges---sometimes beyond the institution.

Geoff Thomas’s description of a collaborative Second Life project at
Georgia Tech using resources from a Ken Perlin's NYU class is one
example.  Another is the idea of building a network of digital
artists within one’s own city instead of within the university.

Another great example of community building comes from Upgrade!
International.  For folks who might not know, The Upgrade (http://
treasurecrumbs.com/theupgrade/) was founded by artist Yael Kanarek in
NYC in the late 90’s as a monthly meeting where media artists could
bond, show work, and eat pizza.  The program was wildly popular and
non-institutional for the most part, and now has expanded to include
22 international “salons” from Skopjie to Wellington.

We started the Chicago Upgrade about a year and a half ago, and it’s
an been incredible experience.  We are nomads and meet monthly in
either a restaurant, artist’s studio, nonprofit space, wherever!  For
our graduate students who attend, it’s an opportunity to network and
learn what goes on beyond the walls of academia.  For academics, it’s
a great time to chat over some of the very same questions we are
dealing with here on IDC, but in person….usually over cocktails.  The
shared conversations help all of us to identify and sometimes
confront similar kinds of isolation issues.

Kevin's question: Has anyone else struggled with how to prepare
students  in terms of post-educational or professional practice?
Kevin asks a tough question: ethically, are we as academics
responsible at all for our students’ future job prospects? In terms
of professional practice, graduate students in my department are
hungry for workshops and information—they need rewarding work or jobs
that will help them pay off enormous student loans.  As a faculty
member, it’s often difficult to watch students accumulating ever-
increasing amounts of debt, work 4 different jobs, and come to class
exhausted and without homework because their schedules are too full
to allow time for study.  In the case of our foreign students, many
will pursue work outside their area of interests post-graduation
simply to remain in the USA.

A December 24, 2006 NYT article, recounts the rags-to-riches story of
Elaine Ward, a former ceramicist and glassblower, who was unable to
support herself after graduating from the University of Minnesota
with a BFA.  Ms. Ward dove headfirst into the male-dominated world of
plumbing to found Isis, now a fabulously successful boutique firm on
Long Island.  One of my most talented students, a gifted kinetic
sculptor, worked for nearly half a year after graduation fabricating
hundreds of tiny life-like steel chocolate chips (the real ones melt
under studio lights).  But we’ve all heard countless stories like
this: "The odd jobs toughen you up, they prepare you for the life of
an artist."  Or do they?

SAIC puts fine art and criticism first in the curriculum; we do not
offer professional practice courses during the academic year,
however, I traditionally run a 2-hour “professional practices
workshop” to provide some direction to students attending CAA or the
first time and so forth.  At SAIC, regular individual meetings with a
faculty advisor are part of the core curriculum.  These private
tutorials—really key to the grad experience at SAIC—are used by many
students to ferret out answers to their questions about gallery
representation and the like.  I do find that the motivated and
resourceful students somehow get their questions answered so I worry
less about the inclusion of post-educational outcomes in our "fine
arts and criticism" directed curriculum.

Andrea's question: Perhaps we can develop "some more precise
definitions of programs, clarifying courses in 'digital art' versus
'digital media' versus 'new media', versus 'computer graphics'
etc.?"  Defining these terms could help faculty developing new
programs at institutions.
Yes, attempting to define programs is a challenge---it is an even
greater challenge when your department might be competing for the
attention of talented prospective graduate students applying to
multiple "media" departments in the same institution.  Here are
program titles at SAIC for all the departments that deal with
aesthetics, digital tools, criticism and often with technology: Art
and Technology Studies; Film, Video, New Media; Design for Emerging
Technologies; Designed Objects; Visual Communication.  All of these
areas boast excellent faculty and curriculum---but how is a student
to choose?  At the ever-popular US News and World Reports site, the
listings of “categories” for graduate MFA programs includes only the
following:

Ceramics
Graphic Arts
Industrial Design
Multimedia/Visual Communications
Painting/Drawing
Photography
Printmaking
Sculpture

One might ask, where is video--multimedia?  Apparently, digital media
and media art are lumped under the Multimedia category as well.  This
question of where the digital arts might wind up in 10 years is
complex.  Will there be a Multimedia category in 2017?

Many thanks for making this discussion such a pleasure.

Cheers, Tiff
Tiffany Holmes, Associate Professor
Chair, Department of Art and Technology Studies
The School of the Art Institute of Chicago
112 S. Michigan Ave., Chicago IL 60603
Phone: 312-345-3760,  Fax: 312-345-3565
Mobile: 312-493-0302
http://www.tiffanyholmes.com