[iDC] sharing "new media" curricula/potentials

kanarinka kanarinka at ikatun.com
Fri Jan 26 16:29:35 EST 2007

Something of a side note to Ryan's post - but incidentally, I am
teaching a class at Digital+Media Grad program at RISD right now
entitled "The Real World" which is primarily about some of the "real"
art worlds (like Grant World, Gallery World, Academic World, etc.)
This is primarily a course for fine arts grad students - i.e. people
interested in being artists once they graduate. Here is a link to the
syllabus: http://dm.risd.edu/~kanarinka/realworld07/ and to our
collaborative delicious archive: http://del.icio.us/therealworld.
Your thoughts and feedback are welcome since this is the first time I
have taught such a class.

I hear your argument for not reinforcing/supporting what "the real
world" consists of by codifying it in a university class and tacitly
endorsing its modes of operation by telling people about them. Doing
that, we run the risk that both we and our students would simply
accept the world as it is with its particular hierarchies, power
structures, and formal hoops (like the CV or the 10 slides). And of
course then you end up "teaching to the test". And that would be
entirely terrible to make too many more people believe that the world
as it is is the only one possible.

However I think it's also extremely important for artists to
understand the various art/new media worlds, particularly the ones
they want to operate in, from a critical, sociocultural and economic
standpoint as a tool for both navigating and changing them. Without
that understanding, it is hard to do anything effective to change the
circumstances under which art is created, presented, valued, bought
and sold nor to do what many new media/digital artists find
themselves doing - creating a meaningful community and context for
the work through self-generated, curatorial, organizational, etc.
activities. What I was hoping to accomplish with the real world
course was to give students (and myself) a chance to understand and
_call into question_ the material circumstances and cultural ecology
that art is a part of in multiple, equally real worlds, how to
operate in them, what is at stake in them, and what other skills you
have to learn (probably on your own) in order to be a part of them.