[iDC] sharing "new media" curricula/potentials

Ryan Griffis ryan.griffis at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 17:12:58 EST 2007

On Jan 26, 2007, at 3:29 PM, kanarinka wrote:

> However I think it's also extremely important for artists to
> understand the various art/new media worlds, particularly the ones
> they want to operate in, from a critical, sociocultural and
> economic standpoint as a tool for both navigating and changing
> them. Without that understanding, it is hard to do anything
> effective to change the circumstances under which art is created,
> presented, valued, bought and sold nor to do what many new media/
> digital artists find themselves doing - creating a meaningful
> community and context for the work through self-generated,
> curatorial, organizational, etc. activities. What I was hoping to
> accomplish with the real world course was to give students (and
> myself) a chance to understand and _call into question_ the
> material circumstances and cultural ecology that art is a part of
> in multiple, equally real worlds, how to operate in them, what is
> at stake in them, and what other skills you have to learn (probably
> on your own) in order to be a part of them.

Great points kanarinka! And your class, i think addresses many of my
concerns as to how navigating "the economy" can be addressed
tactically without adopting the ideological imperatives of the market
de facto.
i have a lot to learn about reconciling my concerns with the practice
of teaching and being part of an institution, and your class
certainly opens a few paths for thinking through how that can even
start to happen. Particularly what i find really interesting is that
the class also forces some consideration of how "making a living" is
broader than earning money. Decisions about living are all too easily
defined through the taxonomy of careers, as if they are pre-existing
life forms that have to discovered and shot with a RFID tag so we can
track it. Making decisions in those terms can't have any value
judgments involved, it's about "eat or be eaten".
But if we can slowly break the equation of career with life, maybe we
can start talking about life decisions in a way that doesn't let us
off the hook just because we "have to make a living".
Maybe i'm misreading, but i sense in the syllabus some critical
sarcasm that makes me think you're not entirely abandoning value
judgments, but rather opening up the discussion so that such
judgments are not defined a priori? :)
ryan