[iDC] sharing "new media" curricula/potentials

Sarah Kanouse sarahk at readysubjects.org
Fri Jan 26 16:44:08 EST 2007

Thanks for your provocative post, Ryan.

> But that university cannot maintain any semblance of autonomy if it
> is inextricably bound up with "real world skills" that are defined
> as how we understand a "job" to function. Otherwise, we can do
> nothing other than replicate the structure that currently exists,
> further subsidizing the privileges already unequally distributed
> (which is mostly what education has always done).  <snip> Sure,
> this is all "idealistic" and somewhat based on my own sense of
> privilege in the economy, but the false opposition of "realism"/
> pragmatism and idealism is weak

Clearly, how a "job" functions has clearly changed in the last 25
years and is going to change a lot more.  A good argument could be
made that teaching students about global economic systems is an even
more necessary "real life" skill than teaching them programming--and
not just to carve out a comfortable niche for themselves but to be
able to imagine and realize alternatives, even on a small scale.

Like Ryan, I'm one of the less experienced people on this list, so
I'm still amazed whenever I go to university-level meetings and
realize again the incredibly tiny sliver of the overall pedagogical
and research pie that represents critical or even more broadly
humanistic inquiry (in either the sciences or the humanities).  The
result is that any new curricular initiative, in order to get
approved by the university and ultimately the board of higher ed, has
to get dressed up in pre-professional clothes.  After it winds its
way through the approval process, it's often very comfortable in
those clothes, now a couple of years out of date.  My school is
talking about starting a gaming initiative, for example, but it's
been hard to get anyone to discuss openly the question of where
gaming industry jobs might be in the 3+ years that it'll take to get
the major approved.

I think the question of our responsibility to students is necessarily
bound up with the question of responsibility to, for and often even
against the institutions where we're teaching or moving.  That seems
to be the only way to wrestle open the reductive equation of
criticality with privilege and "real world" training with populism.
If there is critical value in becoming fluent in a production
process, it exists more in the capacity to recognize that that
process--as it is embedded in 'real world' systems--is neither
natural nor determined, and to shape it or find alternatives to it
when necessary.  That goes for us, too, involved in the "production
process" of conferring grades and degrees.

Not that I've found that alternative, mind you...

Sarah