[iDC] wrapping up: "new media" education curricula/potentials

saul ostrow sostrow at gate.cia.edu
Tue Jan 30 09:02:42 EST 2007

I find this an interesting and telling interpretation - in that I
never proposed survival nor implied it - but suggested that our
understanding of interdisciplinary is misguided in that it leads to a
notion of hybridity which does not allow us to work with people with
other disciplinary backgrounds and expertise -- Teaching them to
navigate an interdisciplinary or a multi-disciplinary environment,
requires a pedagogical emphasis on abstract thought, self-reflection
and criticality as well as broad based technical skills and
experiences to apply these to.  Such problem solving based experience
at this time is a significant compliment to the fragmented experience
offered by a skill based disciplinary education. If we circumscribe
and delimit these by differentiating their history within a given
media framework it guarantees that such distinctions will impose upon
them a form which will restrict their use as tools, draining them of
life and restricting their applicability within other contexts.

Such a course of study, requires the introduction of real-world
perspectives (rather than merely idealistic, instrumental or
functionalist ones) on experimentation, integration and the
application of skills within both a specific genre and without. This
experience would give students a chance to understand and _call into
question_ within multiple contexts, and under diverse material
circumstances the general ecology of their field rather than
reflecting the pragmatic realities of an assumed fixed subject and
context.  By learning to deploy skills that are multi-dimensional,
they will be able to determine what other skills they will need to
learn. It is extremely important for them to understand the various
worlds, particularly the ones they want to operate within, so that
they may not only navigate, but also affect them. Without the
critical skills necessary to function within the socio-cultural
environment, it will be hard for them to not only comprehend but also
apply their skills and concepts to the broader context, which will
move them beyond disciplinary based activities.