[iDC] (no subject)

Kevin Hamilton kham at uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 30 12:05:21 EST 2007

Well, the posts from Brian and Luis don't exactly set up a ground for
discussion, but they do seem to demand a response. I'll give it a try.

First, I'll say that I hope there continue to be places like IDC where
discussions and debates can take place between participants within and
without the institutions on the table. To be specific, if discussions
about education only take place between educators (or between educators
and those looking for new workers), then education is doomed. For every
thread on this list, the presence of listeners and posters from outside
the immediate subject at hand is an indication of the attractiveness of
Digital Media and collaborative practices in the present economy. This
co-mingling is also a unique example, however, of discourses that have
not yet been specialized into non-reflexive irrelevance.

But what is produced by reducing such discussions to strict dichotomies
between those within, hoping to reform a particular world, and those
without, having abandoned it? At even an immediate practical level,
there are so many other possibilities on the continuum. Consider those
who decide to work for only a few years in academia, or those who visit
for a few days as part of a guest stint, or those who take support-staff
jobs with no say on policy but with plenty of effect on daily
conditions, or those who teach as adjuncts. Each of these points might
be graphed not in terms of relative slavery (any of these positions, and
perhaps most, could be described in terms of potentially exploitative
labor), but in terms of what potentials they gain for influence, and
which they lose. These potentials, like all of our disproportionately
and often unfairly distributed powers, effect different conditions in
different places at different times.

I wouldn't try to coax anyone over the line you describe Brian, nor
would I argue that university workers are in positions to reform a whole
system from within. I'm doubtful that there can ever exist, at least in
the economies I know, a university or college whose practices are
consistently just, productive, reflexive and vital. But aren't the
experiences of those within these institutions, as students or workers,
worth improving? Aren't the impact of universities on surrounding
communities and global economies significant enough to merit
constructive critique and reform? The way Brian and Luis have framed
this, and perhaps the way I've responded, feels like a very tired
argument about "working from within" vs "working from without." If
that's all we have, then we're screwed. More importantly, the people who
have less choice than I do about where to work or which educational or
vocational path to take are screwed.

If I draw the line you've drawn for my students, Brian, then I lose any
chance of offering alternatives. Then again, if you come as a visitor
and draw such a line in a public talk, I have good material for
sustaining productive debate and discourse among students. My point is
that debate about the potential for reform of educational or research
institutions is better located around relative locations of power and
affect than around a clear identification of who's in and who's out.

I'll expand that example, to demonstrate what I think would be a more
productive understanding of this debate. If we were to invite you to
campus, Brian (and I know there would be many who would welcome such a
visit, including myself), we could situate such a visit within a wide
range of applications. Your work might be superficially employed toward
communicating an insincere attitude of institutional self-critique to
students, staff, or town residents. Your work might be educationally
employed through introducing students to some particular ways of
thinking and being in the world. Your aid might be requested, in
exchange for monetary compensation, towards the service of curricular
reform. That reform might be long-lasting, or a flash-in-the-pan, and I
might have even invited you knowing that it would only accomplish a
short-term impact. All of these possibilities and more exist way this
side of an actual formal appointment. And the potential of your impact
as a visitor has everything to do with the work we do to situate it for
our colleagues and students. It's not a question of solitary political
affect. Just as my potential for creating change as a professor is not a
matter of solitary political affect.

This range of possibilities demonstrates the continuum that I think most
of us live within, a range of admittedly highly prescribed and
disciplined practices, within and without the institutions we come and
go from. My sense from your work Brian is that you are used to looking
at such a diverse world of action, and so my surprise at your post.
Perhaps I misunderstood your intent, but I think the breadth of
audiences on this list deserve a more nuanced, if equally critical,
approach. I humbly suggest that the valuable critiques you offer, and
which I value, will continue to find new ears only if the discourse is
framed more inclusively.

-Kevin Hamilton