[iDC] (no subject)

Kevin Hamilton kham at uiuc.edu
Wed Jan 31 01:43:41 EST 2007

Brian, thank you for for time on this response. In my opinion, you've
presented an argument here instead of a declaration, and one that opens
up the possibility of informed debate. For me at least, and I hope for
others, it serves as an education, though I recognize your arguments
here from other posts and writings, so it's not all news to me. I
acknowledge too that the brevity of your first (no subject) post
reflects a position in its form and tone as well as content. I just
didn't think that the content of your intervention would be clear to all
(it wasn't wholly clear to me) and now I think it's clearer. Thank you.

As you reminded us here but should be stated more explicitly, there are
many missing viewpoints in this discussion if we're looking for a
debate. Some of what has been debated in this thread has, admittedly,
been not only small in scope compared to the debate you provoke, but
irrelevant in the context of larger contexts. I recall, for example, how
in the previous thread on PhD's, we heard a description of the current
state of education in Palestine. It's all too easy for us to move on
from that. ("There but for the grace of God go I," professors might have
said in another day.) It's all too easy to move on from that because of
the foundations of our institutions, the implicit and explicit purposes
of our schools, and the inadequate ideals we bring to it as individuals.

Whether or not my department teaches C++, or includes Ranciere in its
curriculum, or utilizes blogs in the classroom, matters little in light
of the larger question of what function a university should, can or will
serve. As Saul has pointed out, it is possible to discuss the merits or
pitfalls of particular disciplinary configurations without every
touching a real concern that shapes life. Though charging academics with
irrelevance is a familiar and easy route, I'll admit that it is often
called for. In my short years - I was in High School when you moved to
France - I have not yet experienced an example of a University that
sustains itself on a mission other than rewarding and promoting
self-interest and increased power on the part of graduates,
administrators and faculty members. I'll even admit to skirting this
fact, on this list and in the classroom, in the interest of inquiry, in
the interest of promoting discourse or dialog that is missing, and on
weaker days, in the interest of self-preservation.

But since you've framed the problem existentially, I'll put it back to
you existentially - can't collective inquiry into the effects of small
decisions on the world be more than self-justified indulgence or
delusion? Is it only being nice or 'making do' to address problems short
of global in scope? If I turn to one of my more pressing questions about
curriculum, academic policy or theory, and ask "Will this address the
larger problem of the malicious intent of my employer, my country, and
perhaps myself?" then the answer is clearly no. But if I look to
modernity for new models of action and effectiveness in response to this
problem, I don't think the alternatives are clear.

We've been taught to put new systems and machines and representations to
work in support of achieving the society we desire, but enough money and
power seems to be able to adapt and adopt any system we propose. So we
need new models for acting, awakened sensoria, and spaces to speak with
clarity and confidence about what's wrong with the present. I was taught
that learning such new ways of seeing and being requires that I try
things on the short-term and the small scale; push material around,
reflect with others, engage and highlight contingency, push some more,
and look to make it stick when it works. This sloppy and privileged
methodology can only be improved, can only be reminded of its impact and
dependency on others, through practice, no? This is why it's too bad
that Luis couldn't recount any more details for Saul of his experiment
(at least on the list, that I know of.) I understand why some, why
perhaps Luis, might be loathe to lend a hand to the reflective process
of a broken and even colonizing entity. But where are we to go then, if
we don't at least talk together and experiment and try to learn, with as
much caution and loud warnings as possible?

To attempt to build on what Luis learned could be to try to absorb
critique into the worst sort of progress. Is that all it could be
though? I am under no illusions that the innovations or reconfigurations
I desire or pursue will win against the dominant priorities and forces
that guide my employer. I wish I would even have to worry about what I
might say here on this list, but I am confident that none with
significant influence in my institution would read this far, if they
would even read this list or archive at all. But wouldn't my leaving or
standing against this place be simply employing symbol against symbol?
Please forgive my ignorance on the philosophy and strategy of collective
action, but how is refusal in this case less instrumental, hubristic, or
even less self-serving than speculative experiment and discourse?

I will not call your initial intervention rude, I only queried its
intent for the audience of this list, and I think you have generously
answered this query. I will only add this more - that though the forces
that govern our educational institutions are old and strong, we also
have in our favor the questionable asset of modernity's constant
revolution of process and method. I mean to say this - that in my field,
in my experience at least, the processes and priorities from one
generation to the next are so different as to constitute a whole new
daily climate every ten years. I can look around and see senior
colleagues who have certainly been beaten into submission or
complacency. But I also see my peers behaving and acting in wholly
different ways than I know my predecessors did, at least according to
the record and evidence. My hopes are no better that we'll fix this
broken machine, but I at least have  confidence in no small number of
peers who value reflection in the service of justice and equity, and not
solely in service of self-congratulatory ethics. I guess we'll have to
prove this through deed - I can guess that it won't look very large, and
it might not last long. If that's complacency or concession, then I
don't know what else there is, besides utter defeat or abandonment.
Perhaps I'll join you in France yet.

Thanks again for the challenge. I'll keep thinking about it.

Kevin