[iDC] Re: Re: Everything is Miscellaneous

David Weinberger dweinberger at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 14:41:00 EDT 2007

Trevor has represented the book accurately. Unfortunately, between the
time when I submitted the book and when it came out, the BBC became a
worse and worse example. The backsliding had begun even before I
finished, and I hastily added a line somewhere in there, lamenting the
decline.

But, Rick's more important point is (as I take it) that overall (i.e.,
not just with regard to the particular flawed examples I use), access
isn't as open, free and glorious as my book makes it out to be.

On the one hand, I'm sorry to have to agree with Rick. Things are not as
rosy as we would like nor as rosy as the book makes out. Google Print
could be so much more than it is. Yet, I'm hopeful that it -- or
something like it -- will be more than it is.

On the other, I think the notion that users now own the organization of
information is largely true and worth noting. URLs provide pegs, crude
though they are, by which we can create layer upon layer of metadata
without the permission of the owners of the URLs. E.g., no matter how
desperately you may want to keep me from tagging your page as
"Balderdash" (or "Genius!"), you cannot stop me from tagging it. The
system and its capabilities are far from perfect, but user control of
the organization of resources comes straight from the structure and
architecture of the Web itself.

David W.
--

David Weinberger
Harvard Berkman Center for Internet & Society
self at evident.com
www.JohoTheBlog.com
www.EverythingIsMiscellaneous.com
Elevator statement on file with building supervisor