[iDC] Will you delete your Feedburner account?

Geert Lovink geert at xs4all.nl
Mon Jun 11 03:26:11 EDT 2007

> Changing the rules is easy. Changing Entrepreneurs is easy too: simply
> change the customer and the entrepreneur will follow. That is what
> Entrepreneurs do: satisfy customer demand. Can you change customer
> demand?

Throughout your postings you confuse users and customers. That's the
core problem since 1992 when the Internet opened up. Users are an odd
new category, half producers, half consumers, or some mix of them. They
do not go to MySpace to buy a product. We all know that. What's not
understood here is the element of the social. Of couse the social can
be commodified, but as a model of explanation what's actually happening
online the economic reading is a poor one.

And sorry about the confusion between IPO and sell out. With sell out I
mean selling your company and getting out completely after a while.
This is what mostly happens. Of course Microsoft, Google and Yahoo have
gone public but the founders did not sell out and left the scene. Quite
the opposite, they are still in control.

> Conclusion: what we are doing here is debating the rules of the game.
> And that is great. Rules should be challenged, broken en revised all
> the time. My idea is that you don't need extra rules (not less either,
> don't get me wrong) to protect the customer. They don't want it and
> they don't need it. They have the biggest stick to hit any business
> with: They can simply choose not to be a customer anymore.
>
> This is something that every business-owner, small or big, fears the
> most.

And that's why it is so good to call for a feedburner boycot all
together. Let's punish the founders for selling their company to
Google. Many feel that Google is rapidly becoming way too powerful. Why
support yet another monopolist? Why can't feeburner thrive as an
idendepent company? The very logic that there is some natural law that
they have to sell out or IPO NOW has to be challenged. This hasty
behaviour is silly. The notion that there was no time has been the most
ridicuous element of the dotcom religion. If you want to criticize
'hype' you have to start with criticizing the very notion that
companies 'have no time'. This only creates imaginary frontiers that do
not exist.

Geert