FW: [iDC] RE: Garage Entrepreneurs

W. Reid Cornwell PhD. wrc at tcfir.org
Wed Jun 13 13:30:08 EDT 2007

This argument touches a nerve for me! I understood this list to be at some
level about "creativity". Creativity is not confined to writing poetry or
painting on a canvas. Creativity occurs wherever humans endeavor. The
snobbery that perseverates the belief otherwise does not give honor to that
spirit of creativity.

IMHO creativity is driven both by fancy and necessity. In the case of the
Internet the military necessity drove the early development but fancy and
entrpreneurship has driven the full and rich use of it. Government was the
enabler.

Nancy Bayme, former president of the Association of Internet Researcher
(AOIR) and professor at University of Kansas has said, "I can't imagine that
any useful (Internet) research can occur outside a University." This exposes
another form of this snobbery.

IMHO the Internet is the ultimate example of a free market of ideas in the
commons. All stakeholders should be reflexive with one another. In the case
of the Internet to discredit the role of the entrpreneur is equivalent to
discrediting Guttenburg because he was a printer.

For the scholar, falsification is the process that creates relative truth.
For the entrpreneur, it is market forces. For the scholar, who from the
comfort of the tax supported womb of the University pushes new ideas, the
risks are low. For the entrpreneur they often push new ideas without any
protection.

Many good ideas have languished unnoticed because the creator had not the
courage to risk their personal capital. Great thinkers have always been
distiguished, not by their ideas, but their passion to be heard against the
risk of challenging the status quo.

In the spirit of innovation and creativity, let's hear it for both the
laboratories of academia and the garages of silicon valley.

Reid Cornwell

P-----Original Message-----