[iDC] Art Basel: Signs of a Broken Food Chain

Isabel Walcott Hilborn isabel at isabelhilborn.com
Wed Jun 20 08:37:35 EDT 2007

Cynthia,

Let me try to answer your question  "Is there any way to mend the food
chain?" with one possibility.

As an Internet entrepreneur I find this a fascinating post.  If the problem
you describe truly exists (the alternative is that the "great art" of which
you speak languishing in garages is actually crud nobody would want - but
you sound as if you know what you're talking about) then clearly there are
market inefficiencies.

Where there are market inefficiencies, there's often a way to fix them on
the internet.

Digital cameras are much cheaper than art.  Why wouldn't all of these
artists, or whoever is representing the artists, simply take pics of the
canvases, upload them to an Internet site, describe them (size of convas
etc.), put a price tag on, and see whether it's true that anyone really
wants it or not?

The answer is, they are already doing it.  I shopped for art online last
year at a site like I'm describing, and ended up not buying anything.  Of
course the Internet doesn't give the same impression as looking at the real
piece, it's impossible to judge quality, and other problems with
perception.  The biggest problem, though, was that there was so much bad art
that it became impossible to sieve through it all.  This is the same
curatorial (editorial) problem that the entire web has.  How do you find
what you are looking for, and know it is "of quality" and trustworthy?

Perhaps all I mean by "bad art" is simply something I wouldn't hang on my
wall.   Another person's definition would be something that's a bad
investment. A third person might only like a certain style.  Therefore, if
we could apply some of the social network techniques we're learning from
sites like Facebook, Flickr and YouTube  to Artwork, we might really be
getting somewhere.  People could start to place art in "groups" by tagging,
so you could look at anything in the Expressionist style, or anything in
primary colors, or anything that reminded one faintly of Renoir.  People
could rate each work they looked at so the cream would start to rise to the
top.  The site would only accept works by artists that have received some
major honor already, so it was at least a bit exclusive.  Artists would be
paid when work was sold, not pay to upload their collection (it needs to
spread as fast as it can).

The the last key is you'd have to be able to try before you buy.  Set it up
so you rent the (insured) painting for two months, and then send it back or
buy it.  It's much easier to make the purchase when you already know how it
looks above the fireplace, and the digital representation doesn't do justice
to the original.  You simply have to see it.

So, to sum up since this meandered a bit and I don't have time to edit: to
fix the food chain, you can replace the outmoded curatorial system with a
large collaborative group of art fans and buyers.  As a group, aficionados
can categorize and sort more efficiently (and gage the market better) than
gallery owners, and the Internet showroom (though inferior) is much
cheaper.  Once the right site gains momentum and becomes the standard (and
I'm sure they're a few out there already vying for this), then the right art
can then get into the right hands instead of languishing.

But it means giving up control people may not want to give up: the
digital picture is up there so someone may copy it, your art isn't seen in
the best visual environment or hung next to the right pictures, you might
receive a label or a rating you didn't want to receive, have to sell it
for less than you wanted to, you can't artificially create scarcity to
inflate prices, and so forth.

Isabel