[iDC] Writing about the sociable web

lilly nguyen lillynguyen at ucla.edu
Thu Jun 21 13:54:47 EDT 2007

Hi all-

While I wholly agree with Trebor's comments about networked publics,
I would throw in some caveats and potential barriers to this in that
while to us, observing the phenomenon these social networking spaces
appear as publics, I have a strong suspicion that the perceptions as
individuals experience them and interact in them isn't necessarily
the case. I think in the case of FB and MySpace, people sign onto
them not to meet new friends, or to enact their public selves, but in
fact they do so because they want to "hang out" with their friends.
In fact, there is a lot of mirroring and replication of offline
behaviors in these online worlds that make it more conducive to a
perception of privateness. I think this disconnect between the
perceptions and the reality of actions is what's really compelling
about these online SNS. That distinction between private and public
isn't so clean anymore (was it ever?). What's I find especially
troubling is that the notion of public that you proposed earlier, in
relation to public media like KPFK and NPR, is not one that I think
will happen on social networking sites only because social networking
sites are essentially ego networks. it's about "me." my profile says
something about me. my friends tell you something about *me.* which
is an increasing trend that i don't know will necessarily abate.

-lilly

Lilly Nguyen
PhD Student, Dept. of Information Studies
lillynguyen at ucla.edu