[iDC] Some thoughts on Jean Baudrillard

Alan Clinton reconstruction.submissions at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 22:58:51 EDT 2007

Reading Simon's and Charlie's respective meditations/mediations on
Jean/John, I'm struck by the fact that they have used a very Derridean
strategy (the research pun) to open up a conceptual space which hadn't
before existed.  They were both struck intellectually by the mystification
of two very public John's/Jean's dying so closely together, temporally
speaking.  Given their (our) methods, I'm not sure we should be so quick to
dismiss thinkers as gnomic, empirically unsupportable, etc.  For one thing,
this list itself is empirically unsupportable.  It works on the level
of tossing ideas back and forth which may or may not lead to more sustained
research projects, but that is the gamble we make in pursuing such types of
conversation.

And, should thinkers always be deliverers of unambiguous information?  Is
that what really spurs more research, or does such a view of
knowledge reiterate the sort of consumerist ideologies that we (at
least American professors) deplore in our students' learning tendencies?

I'm reminded of a statement from Lacan's seminar on Poe that addresses such
questions:

"We find ourselves before this singular contradiction--I don't know if it
should be called dialectical--that the less you understand the better you
listen.  For I often say to you very difficult things, and I see you hanging
on my every word, and I learn later that you did not understand.  On the
other hand, when one tells you simple things, almost too familiar, you are
less attentive.  I just make this remark in passing, which has its interest
like any concrete observation.  I leave it for your meditation."

Mystification has a role in creating a learning disposition, as does
celebrity, as does the inchoate theory.

Alan Clinton