[iDC] Introducing: Real Costs & Oil Standard

Michel Bauwens michelsub2004 at gmail.com
Sat May 12 03:59:07 EDT 2007

Hi Julian,

Repression and awareness are not the same thing, and in fact are the
opposite. So, I think it is first of all important to increase our awareness
of the impact of our actions, on other people, on the environment, and
choose our own ways of how we want to minimize the damage. But negative
approaches only bring us so far (critical environmental education actually
discourages students, but engagement with nature empowered them, showed one
study I saw once), much better than a negative approach, is to replace our
material priorities with immaterial ones. Search for happiness in the
intellectuality, spirituality, culture, relationality, and build our life
around the passionate production of such value.

With post-capitalist strategies, let me be very short here not to repeat my
core argument, we need to support the emergence of peer production,
governance and property into all domains of social life; (because they are
respectively more economically, politically, and distributionally
productive), and strengthen both the sharing economies of individual
expression, and the commons-oriented forms of production. This is predicated
on both abundance (immaterial field) and distribution (slicing up, in the
material field), so that the central strategy then becomes, 'the
distribution of everything', and the direct social production, everywhere we
can, of social value: distributed means of production (computers, desktop
manufacturing), of finance (p2p lending, but more importantly the direct
social production of money), of energy (distributed solar). Finding the
right relationship between the commons and the for-profit ecology around it
(see sam rose's contribution here at
http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/open-business-models-business-and-open-source/2007/05/08,
which expands on that topic); finding cooperative models for such
interaction (austrian os alliance, indian open source cooperative in pune
(see http://www.p2pfoundation.net/Open_Source_Cooperative); strengthen these
types of social production and human relationships within or against the
sphere of commodity, until "we" are strong enough, to tackle meta-system
change.

Michel

--
The P2P Foundation researches, documents and promotes peer to peer
alternatives.

Basic essay at http://www.ctheory.net/articles.aspx?id=499; interview at
http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/09/p2p-very-core-of-world-to-come.html;
video interview, at
http://www.masternewmedia.org/news/2006/09/29/network_collaboration_peer_to_peer.htm

The work of the P2P Foundation is supported by
http://www.ws-network.com/04_team.htm