[iDC] Introducing: Real Costs & Oil Standard

Julian Kücklich julian at kuecklich.de
Sun May 13 04:55:03 EDT 2007

Dear Michel and Andreas,

thank you very much for your thoughtful replies. I think Andreas'
example of installing a geothermal heat pump in his house (whatever that
is) shows how difficult it is to do something "for" the environment
without at the same time doing something "for" capital, so the whole
enterprise seems to defeat its purpose entirely.

I agree with Michel that some of these problems might be addressed by
using peer-to-peer practices such as p2p lending and p2p money
production, but of course these would have to take place within a
framework of p2p governance, which seems to be the key problem. More
specifically, setting up a p2p economy seems to be predicated upon the
existence of p2p governance, and vice versa.

So where do we start? The examples you provide are certainly
interesting, but I don't see their environmental impact. And certainly
they are still thoroughly enmeshed in what you call the "sphere of
commodity". Open source operating systems need computers to run on, open
source retail needs wholesalers to buy from, and open source money can
always only complement state-issued money.

For what it's worth, let me add a few brief words about what I see as
worrying ideological tendencies. I think for all intents and purposes
awareness IS the same thing as repression because awareness always
implies being aware of some things and not others. That is just the way
the human mind works, we can't be aware of everything. You can instill
awareness through force or persuasion but it always implies changing
people's minds.

So "raising awareness" always already takes place in the realm of
ideology. In this post-Enlightenment age, there is no "wrong" or
"right", there's just "different". So how do you convince people to do
things differently, and how do you justify it? Your revolutionary
rhetoric ("us" vs. "them") seems to imply that you will have the
"masses" on your side once they see the light, but at the end of the day
you face the same problems as the traditional left, ie you need to use
propaganda to raise "critical awareness".

I guess what I am getting at is that the whole idea of
post-representational democratic models and ecological awareness are
still built on a foundation of good old Enlightenment-style rationality.
Everybody in these circles seems to assume that p2p systems are somehow
more rational than hierarchical systems. But I don't think they are, and
I don't think this is why they are superior to hierarchical models,
which are actually very rational.

Fascism makes perfect sense. Stalinism makes perfect sense. Capitalism
makes perfect sense. So I think we need to stop making sense. There
might be lessons to be learned from situationism, although I wouldn't
want to advocate a restitution of situationist practices. Still, at the
most fundamental level we are still dealing with the construction and
deconstruction of situations - whether locally, regionally or globally.

As I already pointed out in an earlier post to this list, I don't think
that raising awareness will get us anywhere. There is an abundance of
awareness, and a corresponding abundance of pharmaka that prevent
awareness from ever becoming action. So any strategy that wants to go
beyond this dialectic of consciousness will need to adopt tactics of
delusion.

This is of course where we enter the territory of deludology again.
After all deludic practice is not only about breaking the rules (deludo
= I cheat) but also about leading people astray (deludo = I delude). If
we want to break bad habits, we need to offer attractive alternatives.
Games provide a plethora of models for that. Think of gambling. Pure
waste! Too bad that the money ends up in the pockets of the wrong people
again. But at least it doesn't end up in savings accounts.

It will hardly surprise anyone that the most successful alternative
currency in the world come from the country with the fastest growing
economy - China. The QQ coin, issued by a company called Tencent, is
mostly used to buy in-game items, or virtual presents for your IM
friends, and other immaterial knickknacks. In other words, you cannot
buy anything useful with it, yet it has more than 230 million users. You
bet that the Chinese government is getting nervous.

The good thing about virtual items is that they do not need to be
manufactured, and they can be created with a built-in expiration date.
So the environmental impact is extremely low, and other than real
commodities they don't sit around forever and gather dust. So there's
always demand for more. And as our cultures turn from materialism to
post-materialism (at least we have dispensed with CDs, haven't we?),
virtual commodities become ever more important.

The good thing is that traditional financial institutions haven't yet
woken up to that fact. So there's a first mover advantage to be had
here. I am not enough of an economist to tell you how it would work, but
I am convinced that a unified virtual currency has the potential to
exert pressure on financial markets that can be translated directly into
political leverage.

- Julian.

julian raul kücklich, ma

http://www.playability.de