[iDC] QQ breaks 28.5 Million Peak Concurrent Users

Andreas Schiffler aschiffler at ferzkopp.net
Thu May 17 09:17:22 EDT 2007

I would be careful with extrapolations - the numbers are likely hyped
and not purely indicative of a social trend that will continue in the
same way.

Currently, China is experiencing a Stock Market bubble of extraordinary
proportions:
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/5415cad8-b0a1-11db-8a62-0000779e2340.html
and 'Holding' companies like Tencent are likely attempting to attract as
much investment as they can during this phase to
- solidify their market position
- make the management rich
by making their growth look as plump and juicy as possible.

The number of registrations is actually not that relevant (and as you
mention the 2+ ratio when compared to the number of internet users).
    http://blogs.nmss.com/communications/2006/05/im_registered_t.html

Interestingly enough, the registered user vs. active user ration is
better than Skype's (20:1 for Skype vs 10:1 for QQ). I think this can be
explained by the fact that Skype faces a lot more competition from
pretty much any other messenger software out there, VoIP systems, etc.
etc. - so people will register to try it but don't stick with it. And
Skypes growth in user-numbers were definitely assisted using marketing
dollars with their "Free Calls to Canada and the US" offer which was
available during 2006 (probably to satisfy a growth clause in their eBay
deal).

I think the uptake of QQ is mostly due to the lack of credit-cards in
China. And if QQ threatens the value of the Yuan, the government will
likely proceed to pull the plug on Tencent - that's the beauty of the
'virtual' from a more traditional power-structure point of view:
shutting down the system is extremely easy (format c: or rm -rf /). OK,
they'll probably tax it instead to it becomes uncompetitive.

I do agree that virtual money will have a huge impact globally in the
future, the same as 'plastic money' changed our consumer behavior in the
'west' over the last decades.  But to put it in perspective, Tencent is
still a small player compared to MC, Visa and Amex in terms of revenues.

So where is the OpenSource currency?