[iDC] shelf life

Simon Biggs s.biggs at eca.ac.uk
Sat Nov 17 16:24:53 UTC 2007

Not quite sure what point you are making here. I was just observing that the
AHRC has dropped the requirement to lodge material with AHDS and also
streamlined the submission process. In doing that they have still retained a
requirement that if you have an electronic output of a certain complexity
(eg: an interactive database) then they wish to see evidence of how you
propose to create and maintain that. If your database is not interactive
then they do not have that requirement. I have scratched my head over that
one a little...it is very easy to save yourself a lot of trouble and have a
simple html driven front end to a database instead of something using php or
java. Voila, a lot less bureaucracy!

As for public money, it is welcome so long as the strings attached do not
function to compromise what you want to do with it. I apply for (and
sometimes get) research council funds. However, sometimes I don't apply for
support for a project as I can see it would become overly complicated or
constrained if funded. Better then to just do it and find other means to
finance it. Being both an artist and an academic you can play it both ways
(although I have never felt to be an academic, having spent only a fraction
of my career in education).

By the way, I love computing!

Regards

Simon