[iDC] One Laptop Per Child - MIT/Negroponte Initiative

Paul D. Miller anansi1 at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 10 23:21:54 UTC 2007

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/One_Laptop_per_Child

As a method of provoking some kind of discourse around - gasp -
digital media in a multi-cultural digital arts context, I wanted to
post this to the list. Several artists, composers, writers, code
script folks, and many other creatives participated in the project.

The One Laptop Per Child is a global initiative to foster education
in digital media throughout "under-developed" countries.

Bundled into the software for the One Laptop Per Child project, there
will be a couple of compilations of electronic music to get the kids
into the idea of contemporary composition and digital literacy. I
donated beats, scratches, and various midi components for the
project, as did several other electronic and digital media artists
from a wide variety of cultures (and ethnic groups). The software is
all open source, and the templates and core kernels are in Linux. The
tracks are all remixable and come in separate components.

The software for the project was compiled with Jamendo:

Jamendo: http://www.jamendo.com/fr/artist/Beatpick/

The laptops will be released in November. Please check out the
material! Debate/discussion is welcome!

in peace,
Paul aka Dj Spooky