[iDC] One Laptop Per Child - MIT/Negroponte Initiative

R Labossiere admin at klooj.net
Sat Oct 20 00:13:07 UTC 2007

One Laptop Per Child - MIT/Negroponte InitiativeThanks for letting us know about this Paul. It's is a very interesting initiative. I've signed up for notification of the release. My 10 year old is very interested. I'm very interested. Both of us curious about the laptop itself, how it teaches and what. It's definitely a sweet looking instrument.

So I am on board... but that said, here on the list I can say that I am not without skepticism... is this not another Western populist effort to "help" the "rest of the world," where "help assumes a priviledge which most of us don't actually share, and "rest of the world" assumes that we can short cut past government and institutions and "people to people" create a revolution... how  is that supposed to work when we can't even get George Bush out of the White House?

I admit I'm confused. What happened to the the days when "red" meant a different kind of government and not a campaign where you are supposed to buy your way to social justice?

- just asking