[iDC] One Laptop Per Child - MIT/Negroponte Initiative

Jean Burgess jean at creativitymachine.net
Sat Oct 20 23:58:32 UTC 2007

Hi all,

The OLPC program is widely discussed elsewhere, of course, but there were
some particularly interesting conversations about it a while back on the
association of internet researchers¹ list, of which may interest members of
this list as well:

http://listserv.aoir.org/pipermail/air-l-aoir.org/2006-June/thread.html#9969

I was also reminded that a while back there was also this nice blog entry
from Jorge Aranda, who understands and supports the project but makes some
interesting critiques of the way the design is shaped by the values of the
producers, possibly more than it serves the needs of the users:

³There is a common criticism thrown to the OLPC: You want to give laptops to
kids that really need food or shelter. As the OLPC wiki responds, this
criticism reflects an ignorance of the conditions of many developing
countries, which have enough food and shelter, but not enough learning
opportunities. Unfortunately, the software developers with the OLPC seem to
have made an assumption as mistaken as that of the project¹s critics: that
what children in developing countries need is what our geeky selves would
want if we were kids again. Instead of striving to design the best
educational tool possible (and, remember, the best textbook substitute),
they want to design a kid-hacker¹s dream: Browseable and modifiable code
(one should be able to see the code that runs any part of any application
easily), private access (your laptop is your temple), extensibility. The
software design seems to come from the geek in us, not from the pedagogue in
us²

Link:
<http://catenary.wordpress.com/2007/04/15/a-friendly-criticism-of-the-one-la
ptop-per-child-project/ > Or: <http://preview.tinyurl.com/2mvsz7>

I am particularly struck by the prioritisation of openness and Œhackability¹
over the kinds of Œtransparent¹ usability (which isn¹t transparency at all,
of course) that we users of windows and mac operating systems have become
acculturated to. We¹re all waiting to see how it will turn out, I suppose.

Best
Jean

--
Dr. Jean Burgess