[iDC] how long is a piece of string?

katharine.willis at archit.uni-weimar.de katharine.willis at archit.uni-weimar.de
Wed Oct 24 12:58:28 UTC 2007

Dear Mark,

Thanks for your reply. Brian Holme's text is fascinating. From my non-
expert viewpoint (cyberneticists please feel free to correct me ...)
cybernetics still considers 'systems' , which to some extent is
grounded in the underlying assumption that a system in itself has
some form of boundary and can be studied objectively as an entity-
which can be limiting as  an approach . Although, having said this,
related-theories such as those of emergence do seem to be able to at
least recognise the inherently open nature of changeful processes,
and can allow for  a process to be an outcome. The question then lies
in how we can try to understand information flows which do not break
processes down into components which no longer give us any insight
into the changeful whole. If I refer back to situated   interaction
with technology; where computers supposedly respond to real world
events and places then you still get human and digital systems
colliding because they work on different paradigms:

'The discrete nature of computation means that both specification and
implementation of computer systems tend to focus on events that occur
at specific times. However most mobile applications detect or measure
status phenomena i.e. they are things which constantly have a value
that can be sampled. The translation of status phenomena into events
is problematic and is often done accidentally within systems, with
the consequent probability of errors [Dix, 2000]. This may contribute
to the fact that the fundamental infrastructure and services that
make up ubiquitous and pervasive technology exhibits a great deal of
spatial, temporal, economic and organizational variation [Chalmers
2004].

Underlying this is the question  of humans interacting with
technology , where there often remains the issue of the concept of
feedback, which is essentially structured around the idea that any
input of data will create some form of output (even if it is just an
error message)  - ie it requires in some way a sequential flow of
activities with the assumption that there is an outcome. So there
seems to be an inherent problem in that it responds to change in a
way that may not allow for unexpected outcomes or perhaps the
scenario where there is no outcome at all.

A narrative is essentially a piece of information undergoing change.
A story unfolds and ideally the process of unfolding is interactive -
the storyteller reacts to an audience or weaves in pieces of
information that tap into people's memories or hopes. So, as you say,
it responds to the condition of  in-betweenness (for more on this
topic and how it applies to public spaces see karen martin and
colleague's workshop on inbetweeness http://www.inbetweeness.org/) .

My only thought is that we need to look away from science for
solutions; to literature, film, theatre and other such fields to give
us paradigms for interacting with information and which can deal with
loose, sticky and ambiguous threads. These fields deal with
subjective qualities of things rather than objective quantities.

coming back to Deleuze (From Cinema 1)

'if one had to define the whole, it would be defined by the Relation.
Relation is not a property of objects, it is always external to its
terms. Relations do not belong to objects, but to the whole, on the
condition that this is not confused with a closed set of objects...
Through relations the whole is transformed or changes quantitively'

Your quote from Deleuze on multiplicity also refers to the idea that
a 'whole' is not a systems but a set of relations; what he calls a
multiplicity.  '  it's the borderline, there's always a border, a
line of flight or flow, only we don't see it, because it's the least
perceptible of things'

Following up on your idea that authors ( you gave the example of
Warren Lehrer and Judith Sloan) have created good precedents for how
we might approach narratives about place, another example might be
the work of writer Iain Sinclair. In his book 'London orbital' he
documented his journey along the M25 motorway which rings London (for
those not familiar with London, the road is literally a 117mile long
circular bypass around the city). The story captures some of the in-
between space which portrays the London that many experience everyday
in their journeys; as opposed to the dominant the narrative told by
tourist brochures, estate agent windows or sat-nav systems:

'for the first time since Shenly we didn't need maps.... we trusted
the ground... we followed our noses. Patches of greenery, dog grass,
a few trees; they are absorbed into a grander scheme Isolate one
Lombardy Pine. Stand still and listen. Outsiders are struck by
effects, shifts, that locals walking their animals, or collecting
their kids from a fenced-off school, take for granted. There is a
mystery at the edge of great conurbations; in the light, in places
travellers have passed through for centuries' (pg. 191-192)

By structuring the text around a motorway, a thoroughly inbetween
space, the text somehow captures duration of an experience and how
London is held together by the many flows of people on a road where
if you keep driving you end up where you started, just at a different
time.

Another field that seems to offer so many opportunities for a better
approach to the subject is that of theatre and dance. The methods of
performance are very much based on systems of response and non-verbal
communication, so it would be great to know how this might hold some
clues about another way of thinking about the problem....

But I realise this is all very far away from the reality of a
software engineer programming a mobile device so that it can respond
to the change in location of the device and the corresponding
sophisticated switching of network coverage from one cell to another.
I just  wonder how  it is possible to start to reveal somehow  both
the ambiguity and change inherent in such systems as well as the
actual eventfulness occurring in the flow of information so that we
can start to weave them more meaningfully into our messy 'real' world.

regards

Katharine

reference

Dix, A., Rodden, T,., Davies, N., Trevor., J, Friday, A., Palfreyman,
K.: Exploiting Space and Location as a Design Framework for
Interactive Mobile Systems. ACM Transactions on Computer-Human
Interaction (TOCHI), v.7 n.3, p.285-321, Sept. (2000)

Chalmers, M., Dieberger, A., Höök, K., Rudström. A.: Social
Navigation and Seamful Design. Cognitive Studies: Bulletin of the
Japanese Cognitive Science Society 11(3), pp 171-181, (2004)

Sinclair, I ( 2002). London  Orbital. Granta, UK