[iDC] how long is a piece of string?

Mark Shepard mshepard at andinc.org
Mon Oct 29 00:46:06 UTC 2007

Brian, Katharine,

Let's see how far we can spin this thread?

>> cybernetics still considers 'systems', which to some extent is
>> grounded in the underlying assumption that a system in itself has
>> some form of boundary and can be studied objectively as an entity-
>> which can be limiting as  an approach.
>
> Indeed, very limiting. My understanding is that the feedback loop,
> whose purpose or "teleology" is to maintain a system in a steady
> state, has
> become the paradigm of control in contemporary societies. To
> achieve this steady state, the control engineer must identify the
> variables of the system, both in the machinic actor and in its
> environment.

Clearly first-order cybernetics as exemplified by, say, the
Homeostat, follows this logic. But my understanding of how the field
evolved (which is limited, although I think Hayles (1999) provides a
useful introduction) is that second- and third-order theoreticians
such as Gordon Pask sought ways of thinking about interaction with
(and through) computers that favored "open" over "closed" systems,
with outcomes that were not knowable outside the system's
performance. By "underspecifying" the goals of the system, the focus
shifted from maintaining systems in a steady state to ones capable of
evolving with and through "conversations" between machines, people
and environments that unfolded over time.  His Conversation Theory
may be worth revisiting for a way of thinking through how the act of
story-telling–as something that unfolds over time–produces a "shared"
space "between" actors resulting in "outcomes" to which neither can
lay claim to exclusive authorship. Or maybe not.

Another place to look might be his Colloquy of Mobiles, part of the
1968 exhibition «Cybernetic Serendipity» held at the ICA in London:
http://www.medienkunstnetz.de/works/colloquy-of-mobiles/ - Here, the
closed loop determining the interaction between the machinic actors
of the system is interrupted by the viewer/participant wielding
mirrors and flashlights, influencing how the system itself evolves
(learns).

At the same time, it might be helpful to differentiate between
"addressable" and "non-addressable" things (spaces, events,
subjects, ...)? Computation normally requires that which it "operates
on" to be addressable: as a variable, IP address, memory register,
sensor threshold or peak, whatever. This is the "discreteness"
Chalmers et. al. refer to. Non-addressable things are those that
either don't fit a known pattern or can't be described or specified
in the terms available at the time "code" is initiated, and are
therefore hard to represent symbolically to the computer. Neural-
networks and evolutionary programming are two approaches to this
"problem."

But is this "problem" itself not the problem? The critique of
encroachment of the domain of the "addressable" upon that of the "non-
addressable" is long-standing. Deleuze (1992) discusses this in the
context of the dissolution of forms of societal enclosures
(Foucault), new forms of mobility and corresponding regimes of
control. Further, as Law (2004) shows, the messy, non-addressable
aspects of the "real world" pervade the scientific laboratory as much
as they do everyday life. So I'd think it's less a question of
looking away from science to art, but recognizing the inter-weavings
of the two (among others) in the larger frame of this thing we call
life. If technology is to be the answer (and it may not be in this
case, but Katharine, you originally frame it as such), how we frame
the question is, in fact, *the* critical question. Asking how we
might narrate the (last remaining?) spaces "in-between" (as Ian
Sinclair does in Orbital London, or J.G. Ballard does in Concrete
Island for that matter) would inevitably to lead to us down the line
to yet another mobile application designed to direct the tourist to
that hidden cafe located "off the beaten path." Perhaps "local
knowledge" is best left local?

I want a SATNAV device that helps me get lost...

I think Brian eloquently expresses how at least art can work toward
producing "non-addressable" spaces/subjects:

> This is the liberating side of art: when you really engage with it,
> it brings you into contact with what you don't know, it vibrates
> you, as it
> were, between the presence and absence of any consistency of the
> self, and in this way opens you up a processual change of state,
> which is the very process of living.

So, maybe the question then (if the answer is to be technology): how
do we create technologies that work toward enhancing the
serendipitous, the unexpected, the schizogeographic,  the always
already _un_known, the stuff which elides what Brian describes as
"the imposed patternings of everyday existence in technological
societies", or in plain terms, that which simply enhances the very
_process_ of living?

Mark

+++

Delezue, Gilles, (1992). Postscript on Societies of Control. OCTOBER
59, MIT Press,

Hayles, N. Katherine, (1999). How We Became Posthuman. University of
Chicago.

Law, John, (2004). After Method: Mess in Social Science Research.
Routledge.